Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firewall to Tunnel Transition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am about to install nut plates on the SS kit tunnel. I have my boot cowl sides overlapping the top of the tunnel sides, and installing the nut plates on the tunnel. I tried dimpling the SS and it seems to work OK. I can't find any specific info on dimpling SS. Any problem using CS screws and dimples? Aluminum rivets? I try not to use aluminum rivets on steel but in this case the SS is screwed to aluminum boot cowl sheeting so I think there is enough aluminum to act as a sink. The rivets should last a while.

Comment

• Bcone1381
      Bcone1381 commented
      Editing a comment
      I used Nut Plates attached on the tunnel like you described. I attach the boot cowl via Cad Plated steel (not SS) AN526 Truss Head machine screws. I want this to be easily removable, so I did not consider riveting it.

Post #11 Spinning Wrench shows how he added an aluminum angle to help the joinery at the leading edge of the tunnel. I also did that and like it.
      Last edited by Bcone1381; 11-26-2020, 06:50 AM. Reason: added note about Post #11

• svyolo
      svyolo commented
      Editing a comment
      The rivets are just holding the nut platers.
Working...
X