Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firewall to Tunnel Transition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am about to install nut plates on the SS kit tunnel. I have my boot cowl sides overlapping the top of the tunnel sides, and installing the nut plates on the tunnel. I tried dimpling the SS and it seems to work OK. I can't find any specific info on dimpling SS. Any problem using CS screws and dimples? Aluminum rivets? I try not to use aluminum rivets on steel but in this case the SS is screwed to aluminum boot cowl sheeting so I think there is enough aluminum to act as a sink. The rivets should last a while.

Comment

• Bcone1381
      Bcone1381 commented
      Editing a comment
      I used Nut Plates attached on the tunnel like you described. I attach the boot cowl via Cad Plated steel (not SS) AN526 Truss Head machine screws. I want this to be easily removable, so I did not consider riveting it.

Post #11 Spinning Wrench shows how he added an aluminum angle to help the joinery at the leading edge of the tunnel. I also did that and like it.
      Last edited by Bcone1381; 11-26-2020, 06:50 AM. Reason: added note about Post #11

• svyolo
      svyolo commented
      Editing a comment
      The rivets are just holding the nut platers.

Hello folks. I have started back on my Patrol project with a bit of help. I have added to my partly completed scratch built wings with a fantastic quick build fuselage kit from Mark. I received it in early November and have been hard at work. I have a question for you guys on the tunnel transition. The flange on my tunnel seems to have been shrunk on the flange a lot more than the other kit tunnels in the previous photos. To get the tunnel to match the former, the flange is bent to almost 80 deg. It looks like from the photos above, others are shrunk so the flange creates a smooth connection to the boot cowel and nut plates are installed on the flange to attach to the boot cowel. What are your thoughts:
    1) should I try to stretch it out with a stretcher. I tried a little but did not get far with by streatcher so far.
    2) leave it alone and have the lip point up and install nut plates on the aluminum former
    3) cut off the lip and do the same as #2.

Thoughts? - john

IMG_2054.jpgIMG_2053.jpg
    Attached Files
    John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

• Bcone1381
      Bcone1381 commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad to see you back at it John!!!
Working...
X