Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Pilot Seat Design for My Patrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pilot Seat Design for My Patrol

After wriggling around in the standard pilot seat I decided I needed something a bit more comfortable for those long trips. Here is my answer using carbon fiber for the pilots seat bucket. Oregon Aero will be providing me a set of thin cushions to fit over. With this design I resolved some problems. The diagonal seat brace was hitting my wide behind and I wanted a seat that would provide very ready access to the rear seat. In my redesign I made the sliding mechanism easy to work with Delrin slides and I added a one button release so the entire seat tips forward for great rear seat access. The cutout for the control stick adds an additional 3" of leg support. Because the seat bucket is sculpted in all directions it makes for a very comfortable sit. I am looking forward to trying it on with the new cushions when they arrive. Today I am welding up the modified support mechanism.

Carbon Fiber Seat.jpg
    Last edited by spinningwrench; 11-15-2020, 03:32 PM.

Looks great. I’d be interested in your slide tilt design. I’ll be doing my seat in the near future.

Comment

Happy to share

Comment

Nice job! Did you incorporate any of the existing elements of the kit seat Bruce?

Comment

• spinningwrench
          spinningwrench commented
          Editing a comment
          In concept but I needed to narrow the seat tubing to best fit the carbon fiber bucket so I made it new using a welding jig to pick up the 8” spacing already on the Quickbuild fuselage. I added a couple hinge points to the front of the seat frame and a lug to pick up the pivoting locking mechanism. I can send you a CAD drawing when I finalize it.

This looks great! So glad to see some composite innovation, carbon fiber seats is at the top of my short list of mods I plan to do when I start my build. I'll be following this closely!
        Also, nice CNC, I plan to build my first CNC next year.

Comment

• spinningwrench
          spinningwrench commented
          Editing a comment
          The CNC is the backbone of my build

• James
          James commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I'm already starting to think about my next plane SW, I'd like to build a Patrol kit, but I'm not sure whether I'd really be learning that much more.

Maybe a basic patrol kit with extensive use of CNC'd items, that'll be taking me in a new direction.

Great job mate :-)

James

Very creative!
        Nev Bailey
        Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
        YouTube - Build and flying channel
        Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Working...
        X