Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patrol engine options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrol engine options

I am configuring my engine build. Does anyone know if a Champion spin on oil filter option will clear the firewall?

Bruce, the Lycoming oil filter adapter will likely not work as the filter is straight back. One of the oil filter adapters from B & C that has the oil filter kind of vertical with an angle will work. You just have to figure out the best angle where the filter will not contact the engine mount. Mark

Comment

The B&C oil filter adapter is angled at about the 10:30 position when viewed from the back. If there are interference issues with the engine mount, they can sometimes be resolved using a spacer to space the oil filter adapter further aft. TJ, at B&C, keeps pretty good notes about what installations have been done and what it took to make it work, so he might know how it fits on a Patrol.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Bcone1381
        Bcone1381 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thumbs up for TJ.

Have you looked into the Dondalson part 204418-156. I don't have data on it. I understand that the tempest filter is shorter than the champion oil filter option.
      Brooks Cone
      Southeast Michigan
      Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Thanks fir the feedback I’ll get in touch with TJ. I went with an angled B&C on my Citabria and learned that Champion offers a short and tall version filter, only the short one fits.

Comment

The B&C angled adapter fits fine. No mount, cowl or firewall interference. I need to mention that I recall using only Tempest filters.

Bill

Comment

Do you recall if you required one of the optional spacers?

Comment

No spacer on mine. As you can see, I also used the gear driven alternator.
              This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

I like that configuration. How many amp alternator is that. What model?

Comment

I have to agree with you. It performed flawlessly. It’s a B&C alternator. BC410-H I think. It’s been a while... They rate it 30-40 amps. I’ve heard folks warn that it’s output at low RPMs wouldn’t carry the electrical load, but I never had such a problem. If I build another plane, however, this alternator won’t work. The next one will be air conditioned and it will require more output.

Comment

• zkelley2
                    zkelley2 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Normally you run an AC compressor off the flywheel. They make dual pulley flywheels for this purpose, or if you were running a gear driven alternator, you could probably run with a standard flywheel.

• Bdflies
                    Bdflies commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That’s quite true. The air handler fan is my reason for a larger alternator. Some aircraft A/C units use an electric motor driven compressor, but those need huge alternators. I’d use a belt driven compressor, for sure.

Here are some output numbers for the BC410-H alternator at different rpms.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I just found this in file and thought the group might appreciate it. I took the screen shot from the Lycoming SSP-885 document and it applies to all Lycoming Direct Drive engines.
                    Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 6.15.59 AM.png
                    Brooks Cone
                    Southeast Michigan
                    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Working...
                    X