Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shoulder Harness attach point.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoulder Harness attach point.

OSH a few years ago another Builder pointed out the Patrol's Front Seats' should harness fitting in relation to the rear seat passengers head.

The attachment point penetrates an area not far from the rear passenger's forehead. When I initially installed my shoulder harness this safety issue was exasperated and I looked for a simple way to improve it.

The first photo shows how I started out. I installed two shoulder harness fitting like a very popular Patrol builder did on his in 2015 at OSH. My Tape Measure is sitting on the bottom of the rear seat with no cushion, so any cushion will raise it up. When I sit down, the top of my head is 35 inches above a hard seat bottom. I think my forehead would be less than 12" inches aft of shoulder harness fitting.

IMG_2597.png

The next photo shows that my initial install extended a hard point down from the ceiling another 1.5". Yikes!

The Patrol's Hard point is fabricated from .100" thick 4130 steel and I fabricated my fitting pieces from .062" 4130 steel. My sandwiched assembly has 25% more material and I hope about 20% more strength than the hard point gives. I don't need a strength of 200%, but I'm not looking for 75% or 90% either.

I am now looking to attach some type of energy absorbing material to the penetration to absorb energy if a sudden impact with it were to occur.

IMG_2587.pngIMG_2636.png
    Last edited by Bcone1381; 04-26-2021, 07:35 AM.
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

I am not seeing any photos Brooks

Comment

• Bcone1381
      Bcone1381 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. They appear from my computer for some reason. I'll try them again using a different format.
      Last edited by Bcone1381; 04-26-2021, 07:36 AM.

• Bcone1381
      Bcone1381 commented
      Editing a comment
      Can you see them now?

• JimParker256
      JimParker256 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, we can see the pics now. Thanks!
Working...
X