Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short Rear Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Rear Windows

The Patrol kit comes with long rear windows. I am not sure what the benefit is of having windows all the way back to the cargo area. It seems unnecessary weight. What's the reasoning here? Maybe it helps rear visibility?

The issue I am running into with shorter rear windows is that the fuselage seems to be slightly concave right at the point where a short window would end. This may cause issues when doing the fabric covering. Is this part of the reason for the long windows, to smooth out the transition?

How did people with short windows solve this? Just had the stringer protrude more? Left it concave?

Screenshot 2021-08-14 101812.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-08-14 101830.jpg
    Bearhawk "XHawk" Patrol, O-360, Trailblazer 80", tubeless 26" Goodyears, Stewart Systems. See XHawk Build Log.

Hello Stefan. Bob likes the windows long so he can see back to the tail surfaces while flying. If another plane is flying close and behind you this helps also.

You can adjust the stringers by attaching them further out or notching the inside edge at the attach point so they can be closer in. No problem doing either as long as they are attached well.

To see how the fuselage would look covered with fabric - get an old bed sheet and tighten it over the area you are worried about. You can get a good idea how it will look with the aircraft fabric shrunk there by doing that. Mark

Comment

• noema
      noema commented
      Editing a comment
      These are two good points.

Wrestling with this exact issue myself Stephan. I ended up eliminating the inward bow of the upper side stringers by moving the forward end of the stringer out about 3/8” on both sides. I think it will look better and make the acrylic panel installation easier. It turns out to be almost a straight line from the rear door post to the back of the baggage bay where the inward curve starts. Time will tell.

I’m going with fairly long windows. I’ll shorten them just enough so a 4’ piece of acrylic will suffice. I think you can alter the character of the plane quite a bit if you wish by changing the shape of that window, which is kind of a fun attribute of the kit. Full length or shorter, upside down, spread the window frame a little wider, or any combination.
    Last edited by Pbruce; 08-15-2021, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Take a good look and/or speak with Mike Silvernagle on how he did his.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Working...
      X