Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patrol back seat heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrol back seat heat

Has anyone figured out how to duct hot air to the rear seat area? I plan to put electric seat heat in, but perhaps some hot air is needed too. Or is it? Any reports from operators who fly in winter? I have a Vetterman exhaust with one muff on an O-360

The heat from one heat muff on the exhaust is limited. An exhaust with a muffler can put out much more heat but at the cost of expense and weight.

A tube can be run under the floor to the rear seat area. Mark

Comment

• Pbruce
      Pbruce commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mark. It seems to me that Clint at Vetterman said that there was quite a bit of heat. Maybe we mixed up discussion of carb heat and cabin heat. I’ll circle back with him.

Pbruce, Here is a picture of my back seat heater outlet , front is the same . scat tube running under floor IMG_2908.jpg

Comment

I’m not sure what I’m looking for. Is the hot air outlet the grey box immediately in front of the rear control stick? Also, what size scat tubing did you use? Thanks.

Comment

Never mind, I enlarged the picture and I can see that there is a gas per vent on the box. Thanks again Stinger.

Comment

You can't have too much heat. Sealing up air intrusions and using mufflers is primary.

- Seal all airflow intrusions.
          - Install mufflers to create enough backpressure and air circulation where it will heat the air. Hard to heat air screaming past a surface.
          - Install a metal Y at the firewall and duct a tube to the rear seat. Coming up and out from under the front seat seems to work well.
          - Use something to somewhat seal off the area behind people. ie - Hang a blanket, make up a fabric partition, etc that can hang, snap on, velcro on to close off unused space and retain heat around the people This is a big difference. When flying alone move it up to behind just the pilot.
          - Install a "ceiling" under your panel - over your feet and legs. Heat rising up behind the panel just evaporates there. If you can hold it down so it flows out toward you, it's much better. (To feel the difference next time you fly in the cold drape a light blanket over your legs and stick, above the heat outlet)
          - Seal all airflow intrusions. Yes, I said this twice.
          - Seal aileron pulley openings in sidewalls. This may require some creativity, but you may be surprised at the airflow around them.

pb

Comment

Great advice. Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X