Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another window frame question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another window frame question

Any reason to not rivet the back window frames in place? They are fitted and final drilled and I am getting annoyed at snagging myself on clecos as I work around the fuselage.

Dave from Maine

Anyone have an opinion or insight as to whether or not it is a good idea to rivet in my window frames at this point in the build...last chance (LOL)

Comment

If your fuselage is covered and painted then the only downside to riveting too early is risk of damaging the window while you work on other stuff.

Comment

• jaredyates
        jaredyates commented
        Editing a comment
        Might have to post a picture, I can't imagine that you want anything like that attached to the fuselage until it is painted.

• DBeaulieu
        DBeaulieu commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry Jared, this is a QB fuselage, primed and painted...

• jaredyates
        jaredyates commented
        Editing a comment
        But aren't you going to have to apply and paint the covering? On the 4-Place the rear window track must be different because it receives fabric in the window's channel.

I believe they can be riveted in place now. That statement has a 63% confidence rating. Clothing snags are a big deal as Murphy says "You will damage something." So gamble and go the extra mile to avoid painful shop experiences.

I'm 37% confident you will need to drill them out so fastener choice is critical. Look at this example of an 3/32 alum. pull rivet. https://www.swaco.com/AD32ABS-POP-Blind-Rivet

Its a 3/32 diameter alumn. pull rivet. It has a shear strength of 80 pounds and tensile strength of 135 pounds It will be very easy to drill out if you later wish you had not installed it (sidetrack....Its easy if you spin the sharp new drill bit fast and use little pressure. If you go slow and use high pressure and a dull drill bit the rivet will spin like a merry-go-round. now you've fabricated another shop problem....so you might want to practice at that too. Sidetrack complete). The next size up is 1/8" rivet will be even stronger. Still easy to drill out. Don't use a SS rivet They are diffacult to drill out.
      Brooks Cone
      Southeast Michigan
      Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• DBeaulieu
        DBeaulieu commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Brooks, 63% is more better than 50/50 (LOL) Agree with you on SS rivets. I plan on bucking where I can and using -3 pull rivet where I cannot. Appreciate the reply. BTW, your project is looking great!

I’m with you on this one. i want my cleco’s back. so far have avoided almost any permanent type fastening, but it’s time to start riveting. I bought a bag of aluminum pop rivets to do the stringers and the window frames. and as Brooks says, I have the drill ready to undo it if needed. Murphy’s law says i’m closer to 63% chance of rework, though……

Comment

Working...
      X