Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear shoulder harness for Patrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear shoulder harness for Patrol

Did a search regarding the topic...anything/anybody have specifics for the Patrol? Looks like additional tube work may be required to mount an inertia reel. I've seen tube clamps which might work for attaching should straps, or simply looping the straps over the top cross tube at the aft bulkhead. Looking for ideas! Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions...thanks!

Dave (from Maine)

No welding required. Two options. I used a Scroth Two Bar Slide to wrap the webbing around the tube at fuselage Station M. This is how Race Cars do it. If you prefer not to wrap it, then use an MS27405 Tube Clamp and attach the harness harware to the tube clamp with 1/4" bolts. The Tube Clamps are available with one or two lugs. My photo is of course the single lug tupe.

When racing season is over, scour ebay for used harnesses. I got mine very inexpensive. I built up a 5 point harness using hardware from the race car harness and new webbing. Its built to fit the Patrol. Staple it to fit your aircraft then send it out to have it professionally sewn up.

We are home builders.
    Screenshot 2024-08-24 at 10.39.03 AM.png Screenshot 2024-08-24 at 10.45.37 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-24 at 10.46.09 AM.png
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Brooks, thanks for posting.I found the two bolt "Type B Loop Clamp" (MS27405-T5P) at Univair. It happens to be the right size for the tubing and comes in two halves to clamp over existing tube structure. The two bar slide seems simpler for just a shoulder strap. I'm thinking I want to mount a plate for an inertia reel harness at STA L which means welding or using the loop clamps for the plate if feasible.

Comment

Dave, you mentioned mounting for an inertial reel. This is a personal opinion, I do not care for inertial reels in aircraft, there is always some take up before they catch. Having said that I have one mounted in my 4-place, pilot seat only, in order to reach the flap handle without slipping a shoulder harness, all 3 passenger seats have a solid shoulder harness mount. Again just my opinion.

Comment

• DBeaulieu
          DBeaulieu commented
          Editing a comment
          rodsmith Thanks for chiming in Rod! I've had the same sentiment running around in my head as well. For the pilot position, it's hard to beat an inertia reel type shoulder harness IMHO. I would like to have a lock out lever like on some seats I've been strapped in on, but don't see putting that into the Patrol. The passengers straps could very well do without the inertia reel.

• Bcone1381
          Bcone1381 commented
          Editing a comment
          I have one on the shelf that I did not install. For me....it looked like a noggin knocker, Install was another design issue I did not want to conquer and The shoulder strap adjuster is quick, easy, & intuitive. I don't think I'll miss it.

A few companies make lockable interia reels. If an interia reel a must have for a builder, I would recommend the lockable. Ask the mfgs.

Comment

Working...
        X