Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any problem with sway/tilt when taxiing the LSA through rough terrain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any problem with sway/tilt when taxiing the LSA through rough terrain?

Curious about the all metal wing and top-heaviness. Does the LSA sway/tilt when taxiing through rough uneven terrain?

I have built a mostly scratch built LSA and have been flying it over a year. I have never posted on the forum before but it is time to share what I have experienced. I flew it to Lakeland from SC this year. I now have around 75 hours on it. I keep it at a grass field and have flown into several rough grass fields. I have taxied over some seriously rough ground and have not had any problems. Just take it slow

Comment

Originally posted by BarrysLSA View Post
      I have built a mostly scratch built LSA and have been flying it over a year. I have never posted on the forum before but it is time to share what I have experienced. I flew it to Lakeland from SC this year. I now have around 75 hours on it. I keep it at a grass field and have flown into several rough grass fields. I have taxied over some seriously rough ground and have not had any problems. Just take it slow
      Glad to have you! We would love to hear more of your wisdom that you've gained from your experience so far, and to see some pictures!

Comment

Now that my airplane is finished and has proven itself, I have the time to share what I know. My LSA flies as advertised. I have a stock o200 and is fairly well equipped with lights and ADSB. I can and do go pretty much anywhere day or night VFR. Feel free to ask me questions. Will send some photos later

Comment

• Sierra Skydog
          Sierra Skydog commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad you are posting what you’ve learned and experienced! I’m in the midst of a LSA quick build kit w/ O-200 and would love to see your pictures and hear more performance numbers-what prop, engine temps, etc, thanks!

Originally posted by Stefano View Post
        Curious about the all metal wing and top-heaviness. Does the LSA sway/tilt when taxiing through rough uneven terrain?
        Since when is a metal wing heavy? The LSA weighs about the same as a J-3. Additionally, fuel will be a MUCH bigger factor than the construction of the wing.

Comment

Originally posted by kestrel View Post
          Since when is a metal wing heavy? The LSA weighs about the same as a J-3. Additionally, fuel will be a MUCH bigger factor than the construction of the wing.
          Its a completely newb question. What triggered it was the following Palmer video yesterday:

If it were an issue, it seems that the guy's Pacer solution would solve it.

Comment

It’s an apples to oranges comparison. Piper aircraft have bungee suspension and it looks like his gear is highly modified from the original, along with a lot of other things.

Comment

Originally posted by BarrysLSA View Post
              I, too, would love to hear about your experiences. Any pics, video, stats would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
              X