Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big guy - Which Engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big guy - Which Engine?

Started my dream and always thought I’d be installing a hot rodded O-540 then I sat down and really started to do the weight and balance calc which is telling me I need to do two things before I finish this machine:
    1. Lose weight and keep it off this time. I lost 50lbs last year and found 40 of it back. Currently I’m 270.
    2. Instead of a 540 install a hot rodded 360 to keep UL.

I’ve ordered my tubes for my 4 place B model knowing I’d be flying solo or with one pac most of the time. The spouse is really starting to come around to the idea of taking our two best friends on weekend trips. That passenger weight today would total close to 900 lbs! Not much room for bags depending on distance, fuel load and my final build weight.

I am really interested in y’all’s opinions on this topic. I will build a Bearhawk. I’m just not positive how I will outfit it to enable 4 place (today’s people, not FAA 170lbs) and some baggage.

Back to work! Lose some weight, build some parts!
    Bearhawk 4 Place Model B
    Plans #1552
    EAA Chapter 59

What's the density altitudes of the fields you'll be operating from?
    Bobby Stokes
    4-Place Kit Builder
    Queen Creek, AZ
    http://azbearhawk.com

Comment

You'll never get 900lbs of people in a 360 powered airplane. You'll run out of cg first.

Comment

• Battson
        Battson commented
        Editing a comment
        This is correct in my experience

Originally posted by swpilot3 View Post
      What's the density altitudes of the fields you'll be operating from?
      DA of 2000 locally to begin with.

ive added the weights within ForeFlight and see even with a 360 engine 4 people (Eric Newtons weights) ((455 front, 400 back seat) is doable with not much room for tools. Using Bob’s # with a 540 I could only load 200 in back with same front seat occupants. FB2F08BA-B1D4-45E2-888B-B8B1FFCB7EAF.png
      Bearhawk 4 Place Model B
      Plans #1552
      EAA Chapter 59

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8apmech View Post
        DA of 2000 locally to begin with.

ive added the weights within ForeFlight and see even with a 360 engine 4 people (Eric Newtons weights) ((455 front, 400 back seat) is doable with not much room for tools. Using Bob’s # with a 540 I could only load 200 in back with same front seat occupants. FB2F08BA-B1D4-45E2-888B-B8B1FFCB7EAF.png
        I'm about 100% you're not using the correct rear seat arm to get that.

The spreadsheet that is floating around with Bob's numbers isn't remotely accurate on arms.

I'd highly suggest reading this thread - https://bearhawkforums.com/forum/bea...specially-arms and looking at what people's real station arms are and what a typical empty CG is. Then run your numbers.
        Last edited by zkelley2; 08-02-2020, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Bearhawk Model 5 with a 540 would do what you want.

Comment

Big guy, the last line in your first post says it all.
            Gerry
            Patrol #30

Comment

Working...
            X