Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wolverine air strip in Wrangell-St Elias National Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolverine air strip in Wrangell-St Elias National Park

Wolverine is about 800 ft long at 5,500 ft of elevation.​ It wasn't even a challenge with the Bearhawk. The hard part was spotting the safe landing area so that we could line up on it. Emilie is doing the flying in this clip.

Wolverine air strip in Wrangell-St Elias National Park

Landing the Nikolai Pass airstrip in Wrangell St Elias National Park.​ This one was about 900 ft, bounded by a hill at one end and a hump that is hard to see on the other.

Landing the Nikolai Pass airstrip in Wrangell St Elias National Park. We landed here as part of our first trip from New Hampshire to Alaska. Read more here: https://j3.org/major-past-trips/2022-flying-to-alaska/

Comment

• Chewie
      Chewie commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome. What was the wind when you took off?

• kestrel
      kestrel commented
      Editing a comment
      Very light wind, generally cross from the left on takeoff.

Awesome videos
    N678C
    https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
    Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Very intimidating from a pilot in the Midwest where we just have flat corn, wheat, sunflowers & bean fields in northeast Indiana.

Comment

Both perfect places to have a snack! And thank you Emilie for not putting that god-awful rock music background track as tens of thousands of others on YouTube/Vimeo have done!

Comment

• kestrel
          kestrel commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll let her know! :-)

This is my dream! Love Wrangell St Elias. Awesome videos, thanks for posting.

Comment

You are making me very nostalgic for Alaska, I never got to those strips in my Maule or was even aware of them.

Comment

The hard part wasn't the strips themselves. The Bearhawk was more than up to it. The hard part was flying a downwind leg at 5,000 ft AGL over the river valley, then a base leg at 300 AGL over a ridge, and other variations on that theme. The terrain made judgement of distance, height, scale and speed all very difficult. ...at least for this flat lander, even if my home territory isn't as flat as Indiana.

Comment

Beautiful scenery and you've captured it nicely. Back in the '80's the National Park Service offered me a job there flying an Arctic Tern, a C-185 and a Beaver on floats. The wife at the time didn't feel there was enough culture to suit her needs. So, I took another flying job always wondering what I missed. You brought some of that to light with your videos. My current wife would go there in a New York second. Thanks again. Terry

Comment

Great videos. As far as the ‘god awful rock music” goes if it’s my recent videos on Bearhawk Aircrafts youtube Chanel you are referring to

Built for the Journey - a rugged aircraft for this generation and the next.

you could always hit the mute button

Comment

Working...
                X