Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about the Companion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about the Companion

I'm trying to decide between three different aircraft and need to understand the Companion design and performance.

Passenger needs: 2-3 adults to for my entire family. We have only one child and it is unlikely our family will grow.

Cargo/payload: No need for moose or Harley's, this is why the 4-place is not a genuine need. I am concerned about luggage, etc. if all three of us are in the Companion. This seems to be an issue of where luggage would be stored in that no cargo area behind the rear seat area. I'm 6' & 158, my wife is 5'2" & 107, and our son is currently 5'8" & 130. Obviously, it is difficult to determine how often all three of us will be in the aircraft at one time. Our son is a teenager and should be headed to college in 2-3 years so it is possible I might not have the aircraft built by the time he relocates. On a good note, he loves the Patrol! Time and patience!

Takeoff/Landing attitude: Big concern! Why? My wife's petite stature. The long snout of the 4-place will not be good for her. I suspect landing will be more challenging than takeoff as one can learn to see around the cowl during takeoff but this will be a challenge for her regardless. Despite this factor, I am much more concerned regarding the landing attitude of the aircraft. I have learned in the Bearhawk Forums that a machining/Cub kit manufacturer in Wisconsin (?) analyzed the Bearhawk wing and found it strong enough for the Keller/PSTOL flaps but this is big bucks. What about altering the design for slotted or Fowler flaps?

This really is my 'short' list of issues I need to contend with.

I project plans building or purchase of the basic fuselage & wing component kit at most.

Edit - Usage/application is bush/float plane flying.
    Last edited by RVC; 08-09-2022, 02:14 PM.

The Companion is only two seats, side by side. If all three want to fly at the same time, the 4-Place is the smallest option in the Bearhawk line that will work.

Comment

Patrol, because if your like the pilots I know, 90% of your flying will be solo. And, you get to sit on the C/L and play fighter pilot. Stick in the rt hand, power in the left, works for me.

Comment

Whatever model you choose, go with a kit: you’ll be several years building from plans. Ask me how I know. Also, from all that I have seen, kit components feature top drawer quality.

Comment

I am a Companion QB builder. As Jared stated, the Companion is a two seater. If you can do with two seats, then it is a great choice.
          N678C
          https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
          Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Strickland View Post
            Whatever model you choose, go with a kit: you’ll be several years building from plans. Ask me how I know. Also, from all that I have seen, kit components feature top drawer quality.
            What Ray said. Even after buying the rib and spar kit from Mark at Bearhawk Aircraft, I am 10 years into a scratch build. Definitely buy the kit if you want to fly in the relatively near future.
            -------------------
            Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
            Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
            RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

I spoke with Bob a few days ago about this and he directed me back to the 4-place. His assistant, Mike, is where the suggestion came for the Companion as well as the idea of installing additional seats in the cargo area which means you reduce available cargo capacity.

Comment

RVC, I've got a 4-place. I've taken 4 POB on maybe a handful of occasions, because I could. My wife flies with me from time to time. My son too, but usually not all at once. Like others have said, despite my dreams of hauling the family away on overnight camping trips, usually it's me and one other.

My 4-place becomes a very usable 2-place in the back country. I like to keep the max weight to below 2200lbs when flying into shorter rougher airstrips. It increases my margin for error (I need it ), and keeps the CG mid to slightly forward. As a 2-place I have plenty of performance, luggage capacity, and it's much easier on the airframe. The latter is the main consideration as the airframes are subject to a lot of stress on the rougher surfaces.

Regarding over the nose visibility - you do get used to it, and yep I do wish it were better. I'm currently working on adding a couple of knots airspeed on finals to keep the aim point in full view. Some of it technique, and some of it is just characteristic of a long nose tail-dragger.

I made a few changes to mine along the way. Others will tell you that building without modifications is the quickest and easiest way to get a flying airplane. I second that ! Mods definitely slow the build down.

Whether you went with a 2 seater or a 4 seater, I'm sure you will be happy - the power to weight ratios are similar. Much of it is simply whether you need the extra seat(s) at times.
                Nev Bailey
                Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
                YouTube - Build and flying channel
                Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Nev - Thanks for this.

Mike explained the long nose of the 4-place results from the large cargo capacity of the 4-seater. This makes sense. Bob explained you 'slip' the aircraft in to improve visibility on landing. To be honest, I'll need to discuss this technique with others and contrast it with the Keller/PSTOL, slotted, and Fowler flaps. Yes, modifications add build time but my interpretation regarding on of these is the additional level of safety they would provide the pilot in landing maneuvers. However, I must also follow this by stating the PSTOL performance is great but I do not need that extra expense. This notion of building an aircraft is not an absolute 'yes' for me due to the costs associated with GA. I remain hopeful I can still accomplish this.

A roomy 2-place is fine with me and I would add also an expected end result. Plans often have a higher degree of ambiguity than endpoints and I think the approach you have developed with managing the load of the aircraft with respect to how it is used is sensible - pilots are supposed to think analytically.

Rick

P.S. - I've has a few discussions with Battson as well. He's always willing to discuss the Bearhawk and one of Bob's best sales agents!

Comment

Looking back, your son is 5’8” and 130 pounds, so I put him in his teen years

It seems most take several years to complete a build using a QB kit, 10 years for a lot in the scratch build world.

Putting this (meaning family in a plane) together, you will likely be herding cats by the time you have completed the project. I suspect as posted above you will likely be flying alone most of the time and occasionally with the wife or son. IF I was a betting man (I’m not) I would bet your buddies collectively will have more flying hours with you than your family.

I vote for the Companion, put a big 200hp engine on it like Mark Dickens and I are doing and it will be a huge performer
                    N678C

Comment

Originally posted by Utah-Jay View Post
                      I am a Companion QB builder. As Jared stated, the Companion is a two seater. If you can do with two seats, then it is a great choice.
                      Hey Jay,

I just replied to Mark on one of your threads asking if this could theoretically be a 3 seater? I haven't seen the area behind the front seats but with 225lbs of baggage I would think a single center seat would be possible depending on room. I really don't need the place but I would love to get me 8 year old 60lbs son in for family trips if possible. Would the space limit this option?

Thanks,
                      Brad

Comment

Originally posted by Thyfish View Post

Hey Jay,

I just replied to Mark on one of your threads asking if this could theoretically be a 3 seater? I haven't seen the area behind the front seats but with 225lbs of baggage I would think a single center seat would be possible depending on room. I really don't need the place but I would love to get me 8 year old 60lbs son in for family trips if possible. Would the space limit this option?

Thanks,
                        Brad
                        Brad

I saw your other post too. Not surprisingly I’m at the hanger and just had a look at the cargo area. Could it be done? Sure, I don’t recommend it, the seat mount would need to be fabricated and welded in. But more importantly your son is about to grow like a sprout, by the time you’re done building he will be small adult size.

If I were you I’d look at the Companion as an awesome two seater.

If you have any other questions just shoot them my way
                        N678C

Comment

• Thyfish
                          Thyfish commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks Jay, that's what I was kind of figuring. I'm in Canada and we are legally allowed to hire build assist to help out so my plan would be to get it built as quick as possible with a a professional builder close by. To be honest I would want some oversight on my work.....

The Companion definitely suits my mission more, I just thought the convenience of another seat for our 3 member family made sense. Mark said they may weld in some mounts to put a patrol seat which would help in a pinch. I love the 4 but really don't need the space and I'd want to go with the 540 which would also increase operating cost a bit.

Thanks for your response!

Thyfish

Based on Mark’s comments, the Companion might fit for you. I have a 200hp O-360 ready to go on my Companion, so it will not be lacking power
                        N678C

Comment

Working...
                        X