Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rivets for stiffener angles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rivets for stiffener angles.

HI All

Could someone tell me what size of rivets are to be used to fasten the stiffener angles to the ribs between the lightening holes. My companion drawings don't show the size.

image.png

Patrol

image.png

Stan
    Austin Tx

Comment

Probably an an470-4 and the length needs to go through the stiffener and rib with the width of the rivet protruding to the other side. Maybe an an470-4-3. Ref AC43-13-1b

Comment

I do not know if it matters, but I usually put the shop end on the stiffener side.
        Stan
        Austin Tx

Comment

• Chewie
          Chewie commented
          Editing a comment
          No it doesn't matter too much but usually factory head against the thinner sheet.

I really do not believe it matters in this case.

Comment

Thank you for the info Gentlemen.

Comment

Patrol is AD3 for stiffeners to rib and AD4 & AD5 for rib to main spar... plans show 5 rivets main spar and rib (AD5 when through a cap strip; AD4 otherwise), and all AD4 through aft spar to rib. How similar is the Companion wing to the Patrol?

As Stan points out, AD5 used for the attach plate-cap-spar web on both spars, so the #1 ribs (both nose and center where the spar mount plates are riveted to the cap strips on both main and aft.

Don't you just love old-school inked drawings?
            Last edited by SpruceForest; 10-06-2022, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Center Rib

REAR SPAR AD5 INTO ATTACH PLATES AT CAPSTRIP AND AD4 INTO CAPSTRIP OTHERWISE

MAIN SPAR AD5 INTO ATTACH PLATES AND ALONG CAP STRIP

t.jpg
              Last edited by sjt; 10-05-2022, 06:15 PM.
              Stan
              Austin Tx

Comment

Working...
              X