Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Common wing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common wing

I am just starting to build my wings per my set of 4 bravo plans. I am toying with the idea of building a 5 instead of a 4 but want to hold off awhile on the final decision. If I go ahead and build my wings per my 4 bravo plans, will they work on a 5?

Update: Bob says the B wings and the 5 wings are the same on the plan sets.
    Last edited by Mark Spickard; 02-03-2021, 06:44 AM.

Call Bob. He is the only one that can tell you definitively.

When you talk to him will you ask him if A wings could be used on a BH5?😃
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

I think a quick call to Bob is definitely worth it!

Comment

Although the wings are "the same", I understand some of the material has been beefed up to carry the higher weight.

Comment

• Mark Spickard
          Mark Spickard commented
          Editing a comment
          Here is the email Bob sent me: Mark,
          "B' WINGS & BEARHAWK 5 WINGS ARE THE SAME ON PLANS SETS.
          GOOD QUESTION,
          THANKS
          BOB

I thought some parts were of higher thickness?

Comment

Originally posted by way_up_north View Post
          I thought some parts were of higher thickness?
          As I understand it, fuselage tubes are thicker in areas to carry the load across a longer, wider frame. The video of the model 5 rollout states the wings are same as other models.
          Bearhawk 4 Place Model B
          Plans #1552
          EAA Chapter 59

Comment

Another member on here who has talked to Bob and received a revised wings plans page for the 5...has told me that some parts are thicker...

things can change ...I would talk to Bob to clarify this

because the plans might be the same just some parts are thicker

Comment

Another member on here who has talked to Bob and received a revised wings plans page for the 5...has told me that some parts are thicker...

things can change ...I would talk to Bob to clarify this

because the plans might be the same just some parts are thicker

The op of this thread emailed Bob last week. He posted Bob’s response in this thread and the answer was clear. I don’t think we need to bother Bob about it again.

Comment

Post deleted
                Last edited by way_up_north; 02-14-2021, 01:08 PM.

Comment

I just picked up a set of BH5 plans a week ago. My dwg #5 is at rev 1 (from 7/6/2018), and isn't marked up/doesn't have the edit that is shown in the above photo. Also, Dwg 5 is listed as "Bearhawk B & 5" (right above the red circle in my pic), whereas there are other drawings that are (obviously) specifically just for the Bearhawk 5. Drawing 28 was the only other one I noticed with a revision, fwiw.
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I must apologize; I need to do better at expressing my thoughts in a kinder but still clear way. Also, I need to know when to keep my thoughts to myself.

I apologize way_u_north.

For me Bob’s response was clear and there was no longer any question. That may not be the case for everyone and if that’s the case then they should ask Bob for clarification.

Happy building everyone!
                    Last edited by whee; 02-14-2021, 12:21 PM.

Comment

since I’m not in the good books with moderators here I’m not going to name my source and get them tossed in the same pot I’m in...
                      I'm only one of the moderators, but you aren't in the doghouse as far as I'm concerned. We had some things to talk about back in the beginning, but that's not the type of thing anyone is keeping score about.

It's quite possible that both of you are right. The Five is a new design and any new design will have some fluctuations to be ironed out. If Bob has specified a change to the plans, he will usually let me know and we'll distribute the change through the usual channels. It is possible that this hasn't happened yet. It may be that Bob thought about making the change at some point in the past and then changed his mind back to the original. Over the years, there have been times when Bob has done that. He's constantly improving the designs to be the best that they can be. Sometimes there are new ways to do things, and they are nearly always optional changes. I'm quite happy flying around in the version of the Bearhawk that I have, even though there are several improvements in the more recent builds. I've personally flown the Five at over 3000 pounds gross with .032 spar webs and we know it is safe, but as to whether there will ever be a change to what Bob considers the ideal, that's always a possibility. If the spar web is a point of concern, the definitive way to clear it up is to ask Bob. If the most recent version of the plans shows .032 and Bob's most recent answer is that the wings are the same, then I suspect the modification in the photo may not be the most recent design, but only he knows for sure.

Generally, I don't think Bob tires of builder questions, and would probably rather you ask than build it wrong or sweat about whether your project matches the plans. I can see value in Jon's point of not bugging him but I think he's also pretty well equipped to tell someone when he's being bugged. I get the impression that sometimes he gauges the volume of calls on a point when he's deciding how to put out some clarifying guidance on that point. We have had discussions along the lines of "a bunch of guys are calling me about this, we need to put something in the newsletter about it."

Comment

Originally posted by whee View Post
                        I must apologize; I need to do better at expressing my thoughts in a kinder but still clear way. Also, I need to know when to keep my thoughts to myself.

I apologize way_u_north.

For me Bob’s response was clear and there was no longer any question. That may not be the case for everyone and if that’s the case then they should ask Bob for clarification.

Happy building everyone!
                        Whee that was a very nice thing to do and heart felt...

I`m passionate ...and hot blooded...I apologize for not being more diplomatic....I appreciate you posting this....

hope you have a nice day....

Comment

Working...
                        X