Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulleys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulleys

Is anyone having problems sourcing pulleys? I ordered the hardware package from Wicks Aircraft in January and the pulleys were back ordered to June called yesterday and now it will be July or August and possibly September.
    Roger
    QB Companion C-9
    N51RK

I’ve had phenolic pulleys on order for a little while with both AC Spruce and McFarlane. Spruce seems to have aluminum pulleys in stock. Not sure if they’re a suitable replacement but I’m game if they’re good to use.

Comment

Is worth making phone calls to confirm stock. When I ordered pulleys from McFarlane the electronic confirmation said it was a couple months out but then everything showed up in just a few days.
      Mark
      Scratch building Patrol #275
      Hood River, OR

Comment

The pulleys that are with the very old QB kit I have are marked with a Lube Date of 2003 (yup, 20 years old, see photo). Does anyone have experience with the "Shelf life" of the bearings in these pulleys? They appear to have sealed bearings. I attempted to re-lubricate one of them: I was able to puncture the seal with a hypodermic needle and solvent flush/ultrasonic clean/inject new grease (Aeroshell 22) but I'm not experienced enough to know if that's really a good idea.
        I was planning to order fresh pulleys when I get closer to flying, but if they are becoming difficult to find I may re-rethink my approach!
        image.png

Comment

Should be no problem, a lot of 50 yr old airplanes with the original pulleys still flying.

Comment

Pulleys don't move much and as long as the center axle turns free they should be good. Really old pulleys just had a bronze bushing in the middle, no bearing. I personally would leave the seals alone. They keep water and other contaminants from entering the bearing. I have a combination of old and new bearings in my project as I inherited a box full of old hardware, including pulleys.. On the old bearings I just put a couple drops of Kroil between the axle and the seal on both sides, held the axle between my thumb and forefinger and just worked the pulley back and forth, adding more Kroil until it turned free. If the bearing felt good, it was good. If the bearing felt rough, it went into the mock-up bin. Wiped it clean with a paper towel and called it good.

Comment

Originally posted by rkennell View Post
              Is anyone having problems sourcing pulleys? I ordered the hardware package from Wicks Aircraft in January and the pulleys were back ordered to June called yesterday and now it will be July or August and possibly September.
              Thanks for the update. I ordered the package from Wicks in Feb and was also told June on pulleys and a few other parts. Glad I ordered early. my kit shows up in August, and given all the parts shortages, i wanted to be ahead of the game. looks like i was still a little late.

Ordered an O-200 crankshaft in November 2021 and still no promise date….

Comment

Working...
              X