Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New potential builder - what's the QB process like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting that PPG has come up on the Bearhawk forum! I say interesting because after following the sport for years I’m just getting into it. I’ve been kitting my Muse 3 for several months but that’s as far as I’ve gotten. Bobby and Mark since you both have experience with PPG maybe you can add your perspective and thoughts. I envision loading my PPG into the back of my Bearhawk and going exploring and having pure fun by combining the two! The Bearhawk would be a perfect transport to get the PPG to places you wouldn’t get to otherwise. Are you guys thinking like me?
    Wayne Massey - Central Florida
    BH733
    LSA23
    http://www.mykitlog.com/wlmassey

Comment

Another paraglider here, but I prefer the unpowered variety. Yes, Wayne... my paraglider buddies are more excited about the Bearhawk than me I think,

Comment

I actually sold everything PPG related (black hawk and an Eden 3 wing) a couple months back in part to dedicate the flying efforts to this here Patrol. I may get back into it later on, hopefully I'll still be in good enough shape to foot launch.
        Wayne, I assume you're thinking foot launch? PPG + BH ... yeah I can see that giving you some access to cool flying sites for sure. What kind of places do you have in mind? Keep up the kiting - that's 80% of the skill. Flying's the easy part.
        Bobby - how bout you? Sorry this off-topic is my fault...
        Mark
        Scratch building Patrol #275
        Hood River, OR

Comment

Originally posted by Chewie View Post
          Sorry this off-topic is my fault...
          No it's not - we're talking about practical and adventurous uses for the Bearhawk.

Wayne Massey - Central Florida
          BH733
          LSA23
          http://www.mykitlog.com/wlmassey

Comment

I don't think it's off topic! I've been wanting to get into paragliding and/or paramotoring for a while too. I found a great free flying instructor down in Peru that I was able to catch up with while there for work, but before I was able to get more than one lesson I transferred to a different position that doesn't get me down there any more. So now I'm planning on maybe making a family vacation for a few days in a row. Tabitha wants to learn too, so we'd have to round up a travel nanny to keep up with the girls in the hotel while we go fly in the mornings. I posted a video of my first few flights on my youtube channel, but the winds were picking up, so the video isn't very long. I haven't really found a good flying spot or crowd that is close to where I live yet, but I'm sure the folks are around there somewhere. While at Oshkosh I met a nice fellow who provides powered paraglider instruction somewhere along I4 between Tampa and Lakeland, which is close to where we have a family place to stay, but his program was much more expensive.

Comment

The BH would be perfect for transporting your rig around! I have the Nirvana Instinct 230 and a Dudek Universal 28 wing. It comes apart and fits in a nice box that I'm sure would fit in the back of the BH. That would be the perfect combination, a great back country airplane to take you to some awesome places to explore with your PPG!

Like Mark said, handling the wing is the hardest part, flying is easy! I spent $1,500 flat rate to learn from an instructor here in AZ (Ryan Shaw). He's ranked #1 in the USA for PPG competition and holds multiple world records. He's pretty laid back when it comes to instructing. The first morning I put on the harness without the motor and practiced launching and controlling the wing. The next day I strapped on the motor, did a few practice wing launches, then off I went. Nothing like a first solo all over again! Even though I was flying the second day, I had taken the whole week off work, so I kept training for 8 days. After that I felt confident and bought my own equipment.

It's turned out to be more fun than I thought it would be! There are few things and pure as paragliding. You just run until you fly, then you fly until you run. Pretty awesome! As crazy as it looks, strapping a lawnmower to your back, it's actually the safest form of personal aviation. I always land with the motor shut off and only fly in the mornings and evenings on calm days. That helps me manage the risk and keeps it fun and safe.

IMG_0055.JPG

IMG_0050.JPG
              Attached Files
              Bobby Stokes
              4-Place Kit Builder
              Queen Creek, AZ
              http://azbearhawk.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zzz View Post
                I think there are some kits out there that lend themselves to being detailed, step by step assembly, like the Rans S7. Some kits do a good job of defining the best and only way to route a particular fuel line or wire. The Bearhawk is like that in some places but it definitely leaves the door open for you to make your own way in others. This is a good and bad thing in my opinion. I've seen some beautiful finished products and then some not as good.

I'm one year into building my QB, and it took me a while to realize that and I was very concerned at times with the lack of clear instruction. I still am not a fan of the distributed and poorly organized documentation available. What is available is good, but it is somewhat disparate. AviPro provides some, Eric provides some, Bob provides some in the form of a collection of articles. I'm sorry but that's not a substitute for a unified professionally written build documentation. But, I understand that's a goliath project in itself and requires some investment.

That's really been my only complaint. On the other hand, it's caused me to change my outlook on the build, and rather than looking for the "right answer" I take it upon myself to come up with solutions that make sense, and I've been able to take a little more ownership of the project. Some things are just grey areas in my mind though, and until I see how another builder has done it I can't imagine how it goes together. I didn't know what I didn't know when I started, but it has gotten better. Definitely take Jared's questions under consideration.

This is a good community of information sharing and the best resources are the guys that have already forged the way. It's a pretty competent aircraft builder who can do one of these without being a little social.

Z
                I think if you are ever unsure of which direction to go on a certain area of the build (if information is lacking) don't hesitate to consult AC 43.13. Before the lawyers got a hold of GA there wasn't a lot of information even from factories. AC 43.13 is the bible on aircraft maintenance. The Bearhawk, to me, seems to be the exact airplane AC 43.13 was written for. I know this is still another area to look in the vast amounts of material about this airplane but if you are trying to figure the best way to route a fuel line or wiring this is a good start.

Comment

Thanks! That's some good advice.
                  Bobby Stokes
                  4-Place Kit Builder
                  Queen Creek, AZ

Comment

Originally posted by jaredyates View Post
                    I don't think it's off topic!
                    It all started on a dark and stormy night when I asked about Jeff Goin.
                    Bobby - Ditto on landing with the power off!! Why carry so much excess energy when you're trying to dissipate it... before I sold it, I still had my original prop after 7 years for that reason. I think you will too.

Whatever you PPGers do, I can't emphasize enough: Protect your sport and avoid anything having to do with Dell Schanze.
                    Mark
                    Scratch building Patrol #275
                    Hood River, OR

Comment

Ditto on Dell Schanze!!! Stay away!!!! I was going to mention him, but I forgot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                      Bobby Stokes
                      4-Place Kit Builder
                      Queen Creek, AZ

Comment

I have a question related to the original question of what the QB process is like. I have Patrol plans and am a prospective Patrol QB builder. The kit is advertised as “no welding required”, but in reading some logs it appears that many people do end up doing some welding anyway. So I'm wondering how many people have built the QB kit without any welding and for those that did some welding, do you think there was a reasonable alternative or should I realistically plan on learning/hiring enough welding expertise to do some smaller changes?

Comment

It just depends on how particular you are about the final configuration. Things will certainly go faster if you can be happy with it as delivered!

Comment

Scott - mostly what you read about is guys modifying their 4 place BH kits for a skylight. The Patrol QB kit comes set up for a skylight from the factory. So the chances you would need to weld something is pretty low. Occasionally, something needs to be "tweeked" as steel parts do move around and distort. But that is unlikely and from my point of view - learning to weld is not needed if you plan to build from our QB kit. Better to spend your time putting the kit together. Mark

Comment

Working...
                            X