Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New 4 Place builder in New Orleans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 4 Place builder in New Orleans

Hi all,
    I'm a private pilot currently flying a 2 place Excalibur experimental on floats but found out both my wife and 10 year old enjoy flying. I searched for a bigger plane and being a big hunter and with a wife from Canada, I found the perfect match. The Bearhawk! I bought a 4 place quick build kit 5 months ago with about 450 hours of work in it. It was a lucky find with great craftsmanship. All control cables are rigged, windshield is on, firewall, brakes and boot cowl complete, it's on wheels and one wing is 90% done. And the seats are finished! Yes, I'm cheating, but I think this way I can actually finish one! By next Sept? I know that's a tall order but that's the goal anyway. I'd be eternally grateful if any of you can point me to the answer to just one question (for now). This plane will definitely find its way to floats in the first couple years of its life. I've seen all of the topics on fuselage mods, and a simple sketch from a 1996 Beartracks publication, but I don't think I've come across anything definitive on how to strengthen the fuselage for a float install. Tons of posts asking the question though. I see some instances of swapping tubes for stronger ones, but is that intended for a scratch build? Can the quick build be simply added to for strengthening rather than replacing? I'll send a gift card for Outback Steak House to the first person that can point me to dummy proof instructions on how I need to mod/strengthen the fuselage for the rear float attach fittings. Thank you to all in advance and I can't wait to get knee deep in this airplane and the Bearhawk flight club.
    Brad
    brad@louisiana-outdoors.com
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

I believe the QB kit has the needed mods for floats, tubIng-wise. Depending on your floats, you can probably use what’s already in place. But you may have to do something special to accommodate.

alaskabearhawk Check out Paul Minelga’s series on YouTube. He did a video on a straight float installation on a QB fuselage.

~Chris
    Last edited by Chris In Milwaukee; 10-25-2017, 07:59 AM.
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Chris, Thank you very much for the reply. I did see his video and it's good to know. It wasn't very clear on the fuselage mods or rear fittings though. It did point out that I need to prep for ventral fin attach points and rudder operation provisions! Thank you very much for your reply!

Comment

If I recall, Rob replicated the landing gear attach points out aft as a place to attach the rear float fitting. I believe that it was easier for his setup. At the bottom longeron at that station, there is a small bit of horizontal tubing welded in there that is often used to attach rear lap belts. I think that’s the spot that Bob imagined the rear float fitting attaching. I haven’t seen any BH’s on floats in person to see how that would work out in practice.

Some float vendors, like Wipaire, have rear float fittings that bolt onto the frame and don’t require welding. That’s how they do it for my Maule. But each seems to be just a little bit different.
        Christopher Owens

Comment

A quick call to Mark G and all your questions would be answered. I think he even sells the float fittings and they could have been installed at the factory if requested.

I placed another set of gear fitting at the float attach location but I would do it differently if I did it again. I'd probably buy or make a fitting like Airframes Alaska sells for the Cubs.
          Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Originally posted by whee View Post
            I placed another set of gear fitting at the float attach location but I would do it differently if I did it again. I'd probably buy or make a fitting like Airframes Alaska sells for the Cubs.
            Yep, those are fairly comparable to the technique that Rob used on his BH. Those from Airframes Alaska would certainly make it easy to install.

http://www.airframesalaska.com/PA-18.../af59078-1.htm
            Christopher Owens

Comment

Thanks all. I did look at the Alaska airframes attachments. $560 for those. Mark told me his would be $150. The $150 is looking good to me (given I don't see any significant difference for a part like this that would warrant going in the more expensive direction.)

Comment

I believe that the AFA units are PMA'd for certificated airplanes, so we probably get to pay "special" prices for those
                Christopher Owens

Comment

I'm sure there are several of us here who will be watching your build closely if you're going to be putting your BH on floats. I hope you keep us all in the loop as you progress!
                  Christopher Owens

Comment

The fittings Mark Moyle put on his PA20 were the ones I was referring too. The o my thing I didn't like about what I used, and the problem would be the same with the ones Chris linked, is I found it hard to make the fabric look good around them. Not a minor thing so I'm not changing it but I'd do it different next time.
                    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

So, who got the certificate? I can't offer any help with the 4 place, but a gift certificate to Drago's would work for me! One just opened in Lafayette.
                      Where ya at? North shore?

Bill

Comment

• Brad Ripp
                        Brad Ripp commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Bill,
                        Yes Sir, the project is in the hangar at the Slidell airport. I'm betting what you know from that Patrol will certainly be worth a Drago's dinner. I'm sure I can make a trip over there sometime to get some ideas on fit/finish/electronics and the like. If you ever find yourself this way, please send me a note. brad@louisiana-outdoors.com I can't say I've found a sound answer on the fuselage mods yet, but I'd say Chris is running first place. If I talk to Mark and he says no mods needed then Chris it is. I emailed Mark and haven't gotten that information yet though.

• Chris In Milwaukee
                        Chris In Milwaukee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Ha! Just make it to the BH BBQ at Oshkosh next year, and it'll all be good

wheel-skis for Bearhawk 2 or 4 places $5500.00
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Those will be handy in N’awlins 😁
                        Christopher Owens

Comment

Working...
                        X