Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New guy - thinking of building a Patrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy - thinking of building a Patrol

Hello, Bearhawkers. New guy here (Jeff), thinking about building a Patrol. Currently I'm living in the greater Albuquerque, NM metro area, but I'm in the process of having a new place built in an airpark (1N1) in the town of Edgewood, east of Albuquerque.

I haven't flown since 1999, but I've been wanting to build since I first started flying in 1993. I'm itching to get back into the cockpit. I like the LSA and the Patrol because they're so similar to the Citabria and the Super Decathlon I had the good fortune to be able to fly when I lived in the Bay area of California. Although I could be happy with the LSA at sea level, I think the Patrol is a better choice since the field elevation in Edgewood is 6600', and it gets pretty warm sometimes. I've also been looking at the RANS S7, but with its 100hp Rotax, I have doubts that it'll cut the mustard.

Anybody else fly from a field that high?

I don't have the skill to build from scratch, or weld, so I'd definitely be a "Deluxe Quick-build" builder.

Welcome. As a new guy myself, I keyed on the "wanting to build since..1993." I recently started a quickbuild 4 place and wasn't as much interested in the build as I was getting the plane I wanted. As it turns out though, I'm loving every minute of the build. I didn't see that coming. I have over 100 hours in it so far and it's going great. You won't be sorry!
    Brad

Comment

A turbo Rotax is pricey, but I bet a turbo Rotax powered LSA would perform brilliantly out of your home field. Actually, any turbo is pricey on an airplane. The turbo Rotax might be the cheapest.

Comment

Hi Jeff. Welcome aboard. If you would like to talk about the Patrol and the Quick Build kit for it - give me a call. 512/626-7886. Mark

Comment

Jeff we have two Patrols at our airport and one Rans S7 w/100hs Rotax and we are at 1000ft. I have seen this plane depart from 5500ft before and the Rans take off is very impressive as is his capability of landing short, but absolutely no match for speed. Also, with all due respect to all Rotax users, the Patrol sounds better. I flew a Citabria for 24 yrs and as much as I loved that plane, the Patrol is faster and handles better. I wholeheartedly agree with a deluxe quick build. A word of advice--don't wait like I did!! It took me a year to bite the bullet and purchase. Big mistake. I could have been flying this wonderful bird a whole year sooner and as is the case today, I missed out on the better price.

Comment

Jeff, a Patrol will perform as well as or better than anything with a piston engine, at your altitude. You really need to hitch a ride in a Patrol. You'll be amazed at the room and ease of entry / exit. Performance is spectacular! I haven't flown a LSA yet, but I'm really impressed at the classic styling and robust construction. The Patrol LSA is a plane, who's appearance inspires confidence.
            Welcome to the group! Please ask any question you can imagine.

Bill

Comment

The rans is a nice design but I think you will find that the patrol has a better useful load and is a more robust design. The cabin is also a lot more roomy in a patrol. The rotax has proven to be a good engine but it is expensive to purchase. I have had a chance to observe the s7 here at 1200 ft and with a small single person in it it performs very well on wheels, skis, or amphibious floats. I think if you compare the two designs side by side the patrol will be a better design.

Comment

Thanks. It's going to be months (crossing my fingers for 2018) before I start my build, so I don't have any meaningful questions yet. In the meantime, I'll lurk and read and learn what I can.

Comment

Working...
                X