Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering Patrol QB project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering Patrol QB project

Just joining the forum. I live in Charlotte, NC. Currently own a RV-9A and a Comanche 260. Was thinking of buying a Citabria, but the slow top speed was a turn off and also not excited about owning certified airplanes. Was looking for a fast experimental taildragger, something different than what i have. Also want a 1000-1200 hour project and not a 2000 hour project. The Patrol seems to fit the needs so considering a Patrol QB kit. A little concerned because I know the Patrol kit is not as advanced as a Van's kit. I am pretty hands on and asking myself if I will enjoy figuring things out if i decide to build. Spoke to some Patrol builders and pilots today and they raved about the bird. Very encouraged to find this forum. Seems like enough help is available if I have a question or get stuck during the build.

Welcome to the forum. Mark

Comment

rocket;

I got my Patrol Kit in March, and I had concerns similar to yours. I think that is pretty normal. This is my first build project, and I have been concentrating on the fuselage. The Airframe is on the gear, the rudder is on, the control sticks are in, fuselage formers, fuel lines and rudder cables, gascolator, fuel selector valve are all installed. I am working on the brake lines now.

I am having a ton of fun, and making plans for the electrical, firewall items, and engine installation. I will be moving my project from an unheated garage stall to a workshop next week, and will me focusing on setting up the new shop. My next phase will be the boot cowl.

As far as figuring things out....I find that after I finish a phase...like installing the rudder cables...it sort of feels like I have been swimming under for a long distance and come up for air. I pop my head above water, look around and figure out my next step. A common error I made in the past is not calling Mark Goldberg soon enough when I had questions.

Figuring out the next step takes a bit of time. The research I have done previously helps my start he next step. Apprehension is normal for me at this phase. Its not uncommon to give Mark Goldberg a call or e-mail to verify how I think I ought to proceed, or get some wise counsel. He is very easy to contact and I feel like I have made a new friend and mentor.

Before I got the kit, I researched all the steps I thought I would need up to but not including installing avionics paint and covering. Coming up with an exhaustive hardware list was pivotal for understanding the plans and assembly process increased my confidence. My understanding of the project soared while consuming a huge amount of time, but no money with less than perfect results. (in other words, I still am regularly sending off for supplies and my instructions are not perfect.)

I recommend you give Mark a call, and have a chat. You'll get a lot out of that.

Brooks Cone
      Southeast Michigan
      Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

We're almost neighbors, I'm in Hickory. There is a Patrol kit in progress at Gold Hill, and another at Twin Lakes. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Comment

Thanks Jared and Brooks. I visited the Gold Hill project. He has the wings on and it takes up the hangar. I don't have as much space to work with. i am trying to figure out what is the least amount of space needed in a workshop to build a Patrol and at what point the wings would have to go on.

Comment

You can work on one major component at a time in one bay of a normal car garage. Like the fuselage or one wing. But when it is time to mate your wings to your fuselage, for me that is the time to go to the airport. Mark

Comment

Working...
            X