Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Future bearhawk builder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future bearhawk builder

G'day all,

First time on a forum but it's also the first time I've settled on building an airplane. Namely the 4 place model B.

I'm based in South East Queensland and work as a Blackhander on A330-200 but started on bug smashes for my training.

Still 3-4 years away from ordering but it gives me time to get things sorted, make a plan, print off manuals etc.

Aside from getting to know other Aussie bearhawkers can anyone shed light on the basic wing and fuselage kits? Great info on the fuselage QB kit but not so with the basic kits. The cheaper price tag looks appealing especially getting it shipped over but if I've then got to buy this and that part that's not included, should I have just purchased the QB fuselage?

Cheers,
    Cody

Cody, welcome aboard. For questions about the kits and parts we sell - best to email me privately. I am happy to answer your questions. N95MF@hotmail.com
    Mark

Comment

Gday Cody. I previously owned MCZ built by Merv Hargraves. Living overseas at the moment but plan on ordering a quickbuild kit as soon as I move back. Hopefully towards the end of next year. Brad Lang scratch built POO and lives in QLD also. I can put you in touch if you want to meet up with him. I’m sure he’d be happy to take you for a spin. I’ll remember to get in touch when I am ordering my kit in case you are ready and we can share a container.

Comment

G'ay CZ,
        I'm looking at photos of it now, I like the fairings and orange.
        POO, what an unfortunate rego haha. Yes that would be fantastic to get in touch and get a look at the 4 place up close.
        Thanks very much for the offer on the container. Hopefully I can at least order a wing.

Cheers,
        cody

Comment

Hey Cody, welcome abord!

Yep, after about a year's delay, I've finally started unpacking my QB 4place kit today, and will start putting it together over the next couple of years, here on the NSW South Coast (don't worry mate, I used to be a Queenslander). Also a blackhander, on S70s.

I spent about 5 years umming and ahhing about getting a kit, and despite lots of helpful encouragement from Mark Goldberg, in the end the AUD and shipping and GST just kills us down here. I was lucky to get a half-completed kit from Adam Price out west, and I later found that so many bits had been collected along the way, that the inventory is basically complete already.

Whatever you buy from OS, buy everything at once, to save on shipping, etc.

Apart from the big items, all the little AN bolts, tubing etc etc all adds up if you need to buy it from Aircraft Spruce - I've got industrial quantities of everything now, and because your kit progress will be a couple of years behind mine, definitely give me a call if you need to order BDS before ordering it.

As for local BH guys - there's Jim Hutson here in NSW, he's definitely a guru, a very early plans builder, but doesn't seem too keen to pass on much info (too busy scratch-building a FW190).
          There was a write-up in the latest edition of the SAAA magazine about some guys in a gliding club out west who built one as a tow plane.
          There's a lovely bloke called Peter at Morpeth, he's scratch building, must have 48 hrs in the day.
          And then, pretty much all the active guys on this forum can give you loads of information.

I've never been for a fly, so if you find someone keen to take you for a spin, let me tag along :-)

Best of luck

James
          The Barrows Bearhawk: Who knew my wife could get jealous of a plane?

Comment

Hi guys,

Just thought I’d post here to introduce myself to the Oz BH members.

I’m keen to start a 4 place QB project 2nd qtr 2020.

If anyones keen to share a container then, let’s chat.

Cheers, Dave

Comment

G'day all,

Been a while since I've been on because you know, life.

But wait, bearhawk just dropped the companion and I think im smitten.
              besides the many reasons I'm excited was if I read the little info they have on it, there's potential to throw a third seat in the back with nil baggage just to get you out of trouble which works great for me. 99% I'll configure for a two seat bush plane but those twice a year moments I need a third seat, I think it could be done.

Once there's a bit more info and complete plans on it im going to take the plunge and purchase the plans. In the meantime I'm going to buy into a simple C150 or something with my mate (hes owned it for a couple of years now and its cheaper then anything i can club hire) just to fly cheap, save more and hopefully get this show on the road before I'm 30.

James I didn't get to chat to him but a guy had a white bearhawk with a red spinner at the Clifton fly in. By the time I parked he was on his way out. Agreed on the shipping and speaking to resto guys who get 4130 in bulk they reckon maybe a few thousand saved but project life extended by years.

I toyed with an RV8 because my other passion is being upside down and still like the idea but unless one falls into my lap before I go bearhawk, bearhawk it is.

I'll probably post again when I purchase plans like I told Mark i would last Christmas :/

Cheers,
              Cody

Comment

• James
                James commented
                Editing a comment
                Cody, don't buy an RV8 kit - build something special!
                Those things grow on trees - if you build a bearhawk, then I'm sure there'll be a Vans driver nearby who wants to let you borrow his plane whenevs.

Plus, if you buy one of Mark's kits, and ship it down here to Australia, it'll already be upside down!

James
            Working...
            X