Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member In Boise Idaho

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're set on welding, Alaska Bearhawk (check out his YouTube) recommended to check the local community colleges for welding classes. I found one in my area that catered to "hotrod" guys, but you could get certified, but not required (and additional cost). The class here was 6 Saturdays at 5 hours per day, did some class room discussion but mostly in the shop hands on. I spent one day improving my MIG skills for tacking etc. and then the rest of my time on OA and TIG. The cost was $500 all materials included and it still leaves me options to tack everything together and get a pro to weld, or to jump into to as the instructor worked with specifically on thin walled tube. Giving the data as a benchmark.

welcome to the forum...lots of talented guys/gals here and a great resource.

Andy

Comment

Michael, my name is also Mike, I live in Boise and I’m seriously considering building the Bearhawk from a QB kit. I also fly professionally (a large Boeing) and have a 5 month old son (our first) at home, hence the reason for the QB kit.

Shoot me me a message if you’re interested in discussing the build, maybe we can both start about the same time and help each other out between trips.

Comment

Hi Michael, I am working on a QB kit started in May. The windshield came with it which was on your list as did several items that weren’t part of older kits. It is constantly improving. Mark is also very generous with his time and Mike of BH Canada is happy to help builders as well. Jared is doing great work on manual improvements And this forum is fantastic too! I have zero Mx experience, don’t weld, and find that, although challenging, there are so many people ready to lend a hand or idea that I have been able to maintain steady progress despite a trip schedule probably similar to yours. I seem to be on track for a 2-3 year build by loose estimation. I have heard others discourage first time builders from this project but if you want a Bearhawk I promise you have cleared higher hurdles! It ain’t so bad if it were me trying to learn to weld I wouldn’t imagine less than a 5 year scratch build... at best. I’m happy with the QB.
        Cheers
        Almost flying!

Comment

Working...
        X