Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One more Canadian joining the Bearhawk family!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One more Canadian joining the Bearhawk family!

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 4-place quick build kit from Mike, the new Canadian distributor (https://bearhawkcanada.ca/). He’s been super helpful answering all my new builder questions. I’m sure there will be plenty more questions, so I’m inspired to see such an active community of fellow builders on this site. It’s hard to describe the mixed feelings of excitement, nerves and occasionally sheer terror, at what I’ve gotten myself into, but I bet that some of you can sympathize with that.

I’ve got a few flying friends coming over to help unload the heavy parts from the trailer tonight after a 2500km round trip to pick it up in Edmonton!

I bought the kit about three months ago so in that time I’ve been doing as much research and planning as possible. It feels like going back to school, but in a good way. As I start researching one sub-system, I end up going down the rabbit hole as I figure out how they interact with each other. After reading all the Bearhawk tips articles, Eric’s manual, the Bearhawk manual, and as many forum posts as possible, I’m excited to finally get started. All the research and reading has been great but there are still a lot of things that aren’t very clear in my mind. I’m sure actually being able to touch the kit and all the parts will help a lot.

A little bit about myself: I live on the west coast of British Columbia in a town called Squamish, about 60km north of Vancouver. It’s a great place to fly with big mountains, lots of glaciers, and interesting gravel bars to play on. I currently fly a Murphy Elite. It’s a fun little 2-seater with great performance but it’s too small. I want to be able to carry a friend and our mountain bikes or surf boards or kiteboarding gear. I can just barely do that now in the Murphy but there’s no extra room for the camping gear.

I can’t wait to get involved and share what I learn! I’m off the garage to unload it so I can sit in it and make airplane noises?

Tim Tallevi
    4-Place QB kit #111. First flight May 2022.
    IO-470 - 260hp

I haven't been to Squamish in many years. I used to hang glide a lot with a guy that used to live there. I am just south of you in Bellingham, and another (Archer39J) is a bit farther south. We are both building B models. You are welcome any time.

John

Comment

• TimTall
      TimTall commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome! That's an easy trip. I'll try to get down soon. What stage of the build are you at?

Welcome Tim! I am 9 months into my B Model build. I also bought my kit from Mike, even though I live in North Carolina. I was his first customer. Great guy to work with!

The first 5 to 6 months I spent 25% of my time building, with the other 75% scratching my head. Now I've hit a stride and the majority of my dedicated build time is actually building. It's an incredible evolution! Read everything you can. Sounds like you are. I even found benefit in watching and participating in other build projects. My local EAA 309 chapter hosts a build night every Tuesday evening. They are building everything from a RV9 to a scratch built ULF gilder. I've learned from all of it! Make sure you get good and proper tools. I've restored cars and houses, but there are some airplane building tools that I did not have that are "must haves"! I was interviewed by the Experimental Aircraft Channel. https://youtu.be/7Ip_g9rpILY . I also started a YouTube channel documenting my build. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIq...7r6-5FT27mAtg?
    Last edited by robcaldwell; 04-07-2019, 08:46 AM.
    Rob Caldwell
    Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
    EAA Chapter 309
    Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
    YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
    1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

• TimTall
      TimTall commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Rob. I've seen the interview and I've checked out your videos. Great work. I bought the kit about 3 months ago so I've been reading and watching everything Bearhawk that I can find. I'm going to try to document the process. We'll see how much free time i have!

Welcome aboard....you made a great choice going Bearhawk....

Comment

TimTall;
      I am probably at 40 to 50% done. I am working full time on it now till its' done.

Comment

Hi Tim, look forward to meeting you, I am in Kamloops, currently flying my RV6A and restoring my Pitts, my Bearhawk will get started early 2020, just got my gear back on my Pitts tonight and hope to hang the engine by the end of the month,

excited to see your build

DanDagasso

Comment

Working...
        X