Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Perspective Builder from WNY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Perspective Builder from WNY

I've been lurking here a while as I've been researching what project I'd like to get into. I'm getting pretty close to pulling the trigger and ordering a set of plans for the 4-place (unless Santa leaves them for me) and beginning a scratch build. Yesterday I ordered Eric's Wing manual and have spent a little time looking through it.

I am a private pilot with absolutely no tailwheel time, so that is a bit of a concern for me. I have located a flight school about 1.5 hours away that offers training in a Citabria. Getting my endorsement is my plan for this spring.

I am looking for suggestions, tips and the knowledge that a group like this offers.

Keep building,
    ~Robin

Welcome Robin. Always good to have new builders on board.
    Gerry
    Patrol #30

Comment

Welcome Robin, my pilot skills are pretty atrophied as it has been a long time since I have flown. But I intend to get the tail wheel endorsement as well. But I am building a scratch built LSA and it take a long time even with buying parts from Mark. So I am planning on waiting to get my airplane built before I go for the training. I think by the time I get the plane built I would be back to where I am now as far as my pilot skills go if I get the training now. And beside I work full time so I really don't have time now to do both.

Comment

Welcome Robin. I think a Citabria would make an excellent trainer. Consistency keeps your skills sharp, both in the shop as well as in a tailwheel. Will you have reliable access to both once you have your endorsement?
        Mark
        Scratch building Patrol #275
        Hood River, OR

Comment

Presently it appears that the Citabria is available for rent after I get the endorsement, but that can change. When I first looked into the Bearhawk, there was a tailwheel plane at the local FBO that was available but has since been taken off the line. I'm thinking after I get my endorsement and some experience I'm going to join the local soaring club. With a little luck I can get approved to be a tow pilot which not only keeps me current but has the added benefit of adding more tailwheel time to my log book which will be a plus when it comes time for insurance.

~Robin

Comment

I see you are from Lockport. I grew up in Oakfield, my sister still lives in Bergen.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinDeMarco View Post
              I've been lurking here a while as I've been researching what project I'd like to get into. I'm getting pretty close to pulling the trigger and ordering a set of plans for the 4-place (unless Santa leaves them for me) and beginning a scratch build. Yesterday I ordered Eric's Wing manual and have spent a little time looking through it.

I am a private pilot with absolutely no tailwheel time, so that is a bit of a concern for me. I have located a flight school about 1.5 hours away that offers training in a Citabria. Getting my endorsement is my plan for this spring.

I am looking for suggestions, tips and the knowledge that a group like this offers.

Keep building,
              ~Robin
              Welcome to the forum

If you have the resources the quick build is a great idea..a ready made kit with a lot of support for the finishing steps ..if not then scratch building can be done, the manual takes you most of the way. But there is head scratching and problem solving...if you read daves(desert bearhawk) posts on here it will give you a good idea of the magnitude of the project...keep in mind there are many unfinished scratch built airplanes out there since its such a big undertaking...With that said it is rewarding.... to work on something like a puzzle that may or may not see completion... finding reward in the journey....

to get an Idea what is involved with scratch building... there are a few sources to look at to get a good feel for the process...
              Desert bearhawk has a good video series of his scratch built wings...

Share your videos with friends, family, and the world

he also has a good photo collection on Facebook that documents the manufacturing process.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/DesertBe...=page_internal

There is another builder on youtube scratch building a zenith ch750...the wing is similar construction. ...he shows more of the manufacturing process....taking a look at his vids gives you an idea of the process...scratch building trials and tribulations

Welcome fellow aircraft builders and aviation enthusiasts! My channel showcases the scratch-build progress and tips for construction of my Zenith Aircraft STOL CH 750. The STOL CH 750 is a two-place, amateur-built airplane, designed by Zenith Aircraft Company. I'll be installing a 1966 Chevrolet Corvair 6-cylinder, air-cooled, 100-horsepower engine. My main goal is to help people avoid making rookie mistakes (by seeing my struggles with them) while simply having fun. I'm no professional videographer, YouTuber or airplane builder, but hopefully the information is useful to others with similar projects! Please feel free to comment and subscribe! Thanks for visiting, and good luck with your projects.

Greg also made a series of interesting videos on drafting tips and tricks for scratch building....

Welcome back fellow aircraft builders and aviation enthusiasts!This is the start of my Drafting Basics video series. This is an open-ended video series, with...

Welcome back fellow aircraft builders and aviation enthusiasts!In today's video, we are continuing the Drafting Basics Series, with the first of several vide...

Welcome back fellow aircraft builders and aviation enthusiasts!In today's video, we are continuing the Drafting Basics Series, with the second of several vid...

Good luck....lots of great people on here ready to answer any questions you have...
              Last edited by way_up_north; 01-10-2020, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X