Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys,

Word of the new Bearhawk 5 brought me here. I'm currently building a Zenith 650 in the Portland, OR area, but after that, I may be interested is a 4+ seater. I've Always been a fan of the Bearhawk line.

Welcome! I live in Camas and have a flying Patrol. If you ever feel like taking a look, let me know.
    Mike

Comment

Hey Mike,

A couple of the member's in my EAA chapter(105) have just recently finished a Bearhawk LSA. While it's pretty nice, it's a bit small on the inside. I like side by side, so the Companion looks nice, but with my 2 seat Zenith, I'll need a family hauler. I'd love to see yours once flying events start back up.

Comment

• JimParker256
        JimParker256 commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't believe m.mooney was suggesting the LSA or Patrol would be the right plane for you, but that you could get a real good feel for what a 4-place Bearhawk would look and feel like by checking out his Patrol.

And by the way, that's absolutely the first time I've ever heard anyone describe the LSA or Patrol as being "small on the inside"... With both planes having cabins that are pretty similar, with 31" between the sides, and with considerably more head and legroom than Cubs, Huskys, and probably 99% of the other 2-seat tandem airplanes, the cabin is usually described as "roomy and comfortable"... But I guess if you were trying to fit 5 people in there... LOL
        Last edited by JimParker256; 05-14-2020, 06:17 PM.

• Chewie
        Chewie commented
        Editing a comment
        Are you based at Twin Oaks?

• ianrobb
        ianrobb commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, I've only seen it once, so may be I didn't look very close. Either way, I'm not a fan of tandems, so maybe it's just a perception thing.

Chewie, Yes I am "based" there. I'm helping with the RV-12is build, and was taking lessons for my PPL, but haven't in a while.

Just curious, have you ever flown a tandem? Sitting on the centerline, right hand on the stick, left on the throttle... Controllability is significantly improved. (BTW... I'm a 4 place builder continually scrutinizing my decision)
      Rob Caldwell
      Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
      EAA Chapter 309
      Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
      YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
      1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

• ianrobb
        ianrobb commented
        Editing a comment
        I have not flown tandem, just a few hours in a 150, and a Cherokee. I get the appeal, and if I was going to be primarily solo, would probably go that route. But, my wife is already apprehensive about flying, and would rather have her next to me, same with my son.

Ian, sometimes that inner voice voice needs to be listened to, and if its your wife’s perhaps you had better. A local guy went to the Vans RV factory intending to by an RV8 (tandem kit). They found out he was married, and his wife intended to fly with him regularly, although she is not a pilot. They all but refused to sell him a tandem kit. They said they just know that he belonged in a side by side. He bought the RV7 kit and they have never looked back.

Comment

Working...
      X