Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deposit made and debating Model B vs Model 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deposit made and debating Model B vs Model 5

My name is Dennis Ramsey. I live in South Carolina. I have built a Lancair IV which I now have over 1200 hrs on and a Just Highlander which I had about 330 hrs on when I sold it to buy a bearhawk kit….not realizing the time delay in receiving the bearhawk kit…ooops. But the good news is I have lots of time to research what I want to build. I put a deposit in for a model B in February but am stilll thinking I want a 5. Mark indicated to let him know by next February. The extra size of the model 5 and gross weight sound appealing. Does anyone have a weight and balance sheet they would share for a finished Model 5 that shows the stations for all the seats. I would like to run the numbers at my different loadings. Also I may contact 5 builders to see if they are receptive to a visitor to take some measurements. I am pretty excited about the Bearhawk. In the meantime got to clear a velocity SERG kit out of my hangar that I thought I wanted to build until I realized i was too big for it.

You might consider getting a set of drawings for both planes and get to know the structure. Much will be revealed. Sell the drawings you won't need.

Comment

The closest kit may be Tyler down in Charleston? You'd be welcome to come visit our 4-Place in Hickory, NC.

Comment

If you are thinking of a 6 cylinder, build the 5. If you are thinking of a 4 cylinder, build the B.

Comment

The 5 is a B with 60-80 lbs extra structure. But it was meant for a heavier engine. The heavier engines and used props are cheaper and more plentiful than the PV Lycomings. A 5 is more capable, and if you are willing to go used engine and prop, actually cheaper. If you want all brand new the B might be cheaper. I am finishing up a B, but if I was starting a project I would do a 5 with a used engine and prop.

I am happy with my choice. But I would choose a 5 now.

Comment

I'm finishing up the fuselage on my 5 and am down in Charleston. As soon as the paint is done I'll be getting the seats, carpet, windows, panel etc. back in and you would be able to get a good idea of what that all looks like if you want to stop by.

Comment

Working...
            X