Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Central Oregon- Considering Building a 5 (Very Early Stages)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central Oregon- Considering Building a 5 (Very Early Stages)

I am located in Sisters, Oregon. 6K5

I have been looking at Cessna 185's for sometime. Currently a Super Cub owner. I want a bigger plane for our family of four.

Recently began kicking around the idea at trying my hand at building a Five. Talked to Mark Goldberg though and he said kits are 20 months out- ouch. I figure two years to build so that puts me at maybe 4 years until I am flying. Not sure what route to take. Four to five years seems like an eternity. I'm also a bit intimidated by the process- but imagine I could power through.

Anyways- I have always enjoyed forums for other passions so figure I would jump on here and see what I can learn!

If I can build a plane anyone can

Order
    Deposit
    Wait
    Build

It‘a easy, just 1000’s of tiny tasks

Youtube is your friend
    Nev
    Colby

Watch non-Bearhawk specific videos to. Vans, Husky, Kitfox and super Cub forums are a wealth of knowledge in building your BH

You can do it

N678C
    https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
    Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Donna and I built two Bearhawk Patrols in Cottage Grove OR. One thing to consider is when you build a 5 it will be a new airplane that you can maintain yourself compared to a 50 year old c185. Just my 2cents worth.

Comment

Bearhawks are great and I personally much prefer one over a Cessna. However, if your not into building and think you could power through a build think you’d be sorely disappointed. There’s a reason a large percentages of builds don’t get completed by the original builder.

So IMO, if your only building to gain an airplane and not to enjoyed the building process then just buy. The amount of time you’ll spend building, which is more that likely going to be more than two years, you could get a second job or work overtime and pay $200k for whatever airplane you want. But it still won’t be a good as a Bearhawk can be…
        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• predragvasic
          predragvasic commented
          Editing a comment
          There are builders who only ever built one plane, so that they can fly. It is gives you an essentially new airplane, with the latest avionics, and with a significantly cheaper hourly cost (when you can legally do all the work on it yourself).

• whee
          whee commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, I’m one of those builders. I also have BH buddies that built their planes and it will be the only plane they build. But them and I are builders, we build other things besides airplanes.

I stay by why I said, if your not in it for the build experience then chances are you won’t finish. That my experience and what EAAs statics say. The vast majority of people have too many demands on their time to power through the challenge of building if they don’t enjoy the process.

Two year wait is a significant consideration, if you plan on building full time. It means a difference between flying soon or flying in four years. Keep in mind, though, there are no kits where you place an order, get the kit in two weeks and start building. Whichever you order, you’ll wait before you start your build, although some makers may be able to start you with a component kit (wings, or tail, or fuselage), and then send the other components later, as they (and you) are ready.

If you have a job and a family, and can only build part time (occasional evenings and weekends), the build will likely go for 4 - 6 years, and then I’m not sure how meaningful 20-month wait is.

Comment

I think I am the exception to Whee’s statistics. I had no interest in building, but wanted a BH and there was no other way… So I am building. I build it everyday (I did take today off) that I am not traveling for work. It has been a more enjoyable experience than I thought. I knew nothing about building a plane or anything else prior to starting. I do have an amazing support group at my local airport.

IF you are driven, you can do it
          N678C

Comment

Thanks all. Appreciate the info.

whee to be clear- i mean “power through” the tough days- not every day. Every major accomplishment of my life has required some powering through at somepoint or another. Thats what i meant. But I do appreciate the perspective- and I am not going to lie- I am just a bit worried it would be too much for me- but we have to challenger ourselves, right? I am still debating whether I want to take it on but it definitely intrigues me.

My primary driver is the build process, I realize I could just go buy a 185 and be done with it- its not about trying to save money at all by buidling. Thousands of hours of my time are worth more to me than the cost of a Skywagon. Time is the main finite resource.

Drivers for project are:
            1. A big project
            2. Learning and challenging myself
            3. Ending up w a new plane instead of a 45 year old one
            4. Being able to do my own maintenance afterwards because there is no mechanic on my field
            5. Pride of accomplishment

Looking forward to poking around.
            Last edited by Cardiff Kook; 01-01-2023, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Howdy. I'm a short hop north of you, with a hangar at DLS. Would love to chat Bearhawk some time. Plus I have questions about flying into Sisters.
              Have you considered scratch building wings or fuselage now and get the rest as a partial kit when it's available? May not be the most expedient in the long run (although it would allow you to start sooner), but it would satisfy some of your drivers listed above, especially 1, 2 and 5.

Mark
              Mark
              Scratch building Patrol #275
              Hood River, OR

Comment

Originally posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
                Thanks all. Appreciate the info.

whee to be clear- i mean “power through” the tough days- not every day. Every major accomplishment of my life has required some powering through at somepoint or another. Thats what i meant. But I do appreciate the perspective- and I am not going to lie- I am just a bit worried it would be too much for me- but we have to challenger ourselves, right? I am still debating whether I want to take it on but it definitely intrigues me.

My primary driver is the build process, I realize I could just go buy a 185 and be done with it- its not about trying to save money at all by buidling. Thousands of hours of my time are worth more to me than the cost of a Skywagon. Time is the main finite resource.

Drivers for project are:
                1. A big project
                2. Learning and challenging myself
                3. Ending up w a new plane instead of a 45 year old one
                4. Being able to do my own maintenance afterwards because there is no mechanic on my field
                5. Pride of accomplishment

Looking forward to poking around.
                Sounds like you ought to place and order for a kit! I apologize for misinterpreting your post.

The build is a fantastic journey and it come with all the rewards and struggles of any worthwhile adventure.

Comment

Originally posted by whee View Post

I apologize for misinterpreting your post.
                  No need to apologize. It is a good warning and I can see why my wording could be read that way.

I think the main thing I will personally need to overcome during the build is that I am a perfectionist- even when it probably doesn’t matter. Multiply that over tens of thousands of tasks and it might be a problem- but again- every obstacle is an opportunity for growth.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
                    I think the main thing I will personally need to overcome during the build is that I am a perfectionist- even when it probably doesn’t matter. Multiply that over tens of thousands of tasks and it might be a problem- but again- every obstacle is an opportunity for growth.
                    I totally get it. When working with my brother on projects he is constantly telling me “we’re not building a f***ing grand piano.”

Edit: Idk why my posts get cut off sometimes…

What’s the saying? “Perfection is the enemy of progress.” There’s a reason my build took 3 years longer than planned. My buddy schu is on what, year ten? But his build will be the cleanest I’ve ever seen.
                    Last edited by whee; 01-02-2023, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Great points above

Never shoot for good enough as it won’t be. Strive for perfection, but you have to be willing to settle for damn good and move to the next task.

As my mentor tells me most days, “It’s only an airplane”.

I can see imperfections in my build, but others can’t unless I point them out.
                      N678C

Comment

Originally posted by Chewie View Post
                        Howdy. I'm a short hop north of you, with a hangar at DLS. Would love to chat Bearhawk some time. Plus I have questions about flying into Sisters.
                        Have you considered scratch building wings or fuselage now and get the rest as a partial kit when it's available? May not be the most expedient in the long run (although it would allow you to start sooner), but it would satisfy some of your drivers listed above, especially 1, 2 and 5.

Mark
                        Happy to chat. Scratch building is probably not in the cards for me- but hats off to those who do it!

Comment

Good to rule out scratch building now rather than later!

On the topic of perfection, I keep this in my garage as an antidote to overthinking.
                          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 1 photos.
                          Mark
                          Scratch building Patrol #275
                          Hood River, OR

Comment

Chewie- now that is funny

Comment

Working...
                            X