Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noobie Reporting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noobie Reporting

Hi all, I'm a student pilot with goals to flying backcountry / family travel missions around the US and Bearhawks have really peaked my interest. I'm planning on getting a J3 to build time in while I build my forever plane. I'm hoping somebody can set me straight here on something I'm a bit confused about. How do you order kits? I'm used to Van's Aircraft's website where you can place an order online. I don't see that option for Bearhawk. Am I missing something? I'm looking to purchase a BASIC FUSELAGE and WING COMPONENT KIT​ separately over time. Can someone help this noobie?

Click the large red Bearhawk Aircraft link at the top of this page. That will get you started.

Comment

Welcome! Reach out to Mark Goldberg at Bearhawk Aircraft and he can help you with all things kit. Greg's idea sounds like a great way to do that.The Bearhawk doesn't lend itself well to the Vans approach for partial kits, other than to maybe divide the wings from the fuselage. For example, with a Vans you order and build the tail. With a Bearhawk QB kit, you bolt on the tail, and eventually cover it, but there's not much more.

Comment

Welcome, buy a Luscombe to fly while your building. Better performance, half the cost of a J-3. I've owned both, no comparison, go Luscombe. Ragwing 65 hp 8A, lightweight, no electric is my favorite. Good luck.
        Gerry

Comment

Originally posted by jaredyates View Post
          Welcome! Reach out to Mark Goldberg at Bearhawk Aircraft and he can help you with all things kit. Greg's idea sounds like a great way to do that.The Bearhawk doesn't lend itself well to the Vans approach for partial kits, other than to maybe divide the wings from the fuselage. For example, with a Vans you order and build the tail. With a Bearhawk QB kit, you bolt on the tail, and eventually cover it, but there's not much more.
          Thanks! I wasn't planning on doing the QB Kit just order a fuselage or wing kit separately to save money and spread the money out as I build. That's possible right?

Comment

Originally posted by geraldmorrissey View Post
            Welcome, buy a Luscombe to fly while your building. Better performance, half the cost of a J-3. I've owned both, no comparison, go Luscombe. Ragwing 65 hp 8A, lightweight, no electric is my favorite. Good luck.
            Gerry
            Thanks Gerald, I didn't realize Luscombe was a stick! I'm training in a Citabria 7ECA and only want to fly stick and rudder, lol. Do you have any good resources where I can learn more about Luscombe's? I've got great books on Pipers (Those Legendary Piper Cubs​) and Citabrias, any recommendations for Luscombes? Open door STCs? My home airport is a private grass strip. Thanks for the info and sorry for all the questions!

Comment

Originally posted by Darqfaux View Post

Thanks! I wasn't planning on doing the QB Kit just order a fuselage or wing kit separately to save money and spread the money out as I build. That's possible right?
              Check with Mark, he'll have the latest info on what's available, with consideration for factory lead times etc. There was a time recently when QB kits were getting production priority but Mark is the one to talk to.

Comment

Lots of resourses on the web. Facebooks groups has several Luscombe sites including "Luscombes for sale". Like any 70+ year old airplane they require a very comprehensive prebuy. Corrosion is probably #1 issue and engine parts availability. If you are over 6' tall, try one on first.
                Cheers
                Gerry

Comment

• Chewie
                  Chewie commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And if you don't fit get a Cessna 140. You'll have a yoke but it makes all the difference.
              Working...
              X