Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spin testing Bearhawk Patrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spin testing Bearhawk Patrol

I’ve been tasked with phase one testing for #762 Patrol. Amazing bird!
    What are the spin entry and recovery behaviors?
    I’m familiar that early kits have the heavy ailerons which is what I’m flying-the builder had already completed the ailerons and did not reflex them
    ​​​​​​ With its stall characteristics and rudder control I would expect it to be uneventful in a developed spin recovery. Can anyone give some input?

LSA spin discussion HERE.

It's interesting to note that at some have found the Bearhawk to be resistant to dropping a wing or spinning (4-place). My own observations are that with a CG forward of about 14", the elevator tends to lose authority first and prevent the main wing from stalling (BH-4B IO540). By adding power when approaching the stall entry the elevator holds authority and a full wing-drop will be experienced. A Bearhawk with an IO540 engine tends to have a forward CG whereas those powered by an IO360 tend to have a CG further aft.

LSA Spin testing

Discussion about Spin Testing

Apologies - nothing specific to the Patrol.
    Last edited by Nev; 08-06-2023, 04:03 PM.
    Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Incidentally the 4-place ailerons can easily be reflexed by adjusting the rod-end bearings at the ailerons. Perhaps someone can confirm if the Patrol is similar.

By reflexing them it gives lighter roll control, less tendency for adverse yaw, and greater "wash-out".
      Nev Bailey
      Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
      YouTube - Build and flying channel
      Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• svyolo
        svyolo commented
        Editing a comment
        Until this forum and particularly Mark G's input on reflexing the ailerons have I ever heard of it. But I like it. Before, I had only heard of differential ailerons to reduce adverse yaw. It is not that uncommon. BH's have differential ailerons, but not enough to cancel adverse yaw. Reflexed ailerons help a bit more. But "washout" is different. Washout is a generic term for twisting the wing so that the tip is at a lower AOA than the root, so that the tip stalls at a higher AOA. I don't think reflexing the ailerons will change the stall AOA for the tips. Washout is used fairly commonly, including some fighters. It also has some serious negative effects that don't effect light aircraft, but do at higher speeds.

At least that is my understanding. I will reflex my ailerons prior to 1st flight.

• Nev
        Nev commented
        Editing a comment
        I should have termed it a Pseudo washout.

In 2003 a flight test evaluation was done by Greg King of Bob's Patrol.

This was cut/pasted out of the report regarding Spins.
      Stall recoveries are straight foreword and the aircraft is docile throughout stalls. The airplane can be spun with full rudder during a stall, but recovering from incipient spins is quick and normal. The airplane is statically and dynamically stable in all axes with good damping. These nice characteristics remain with 300lbs in the back seat.

And here is another report about Patrol Spins with a video link that validates the King report but not much else.
      Brooks Cone
      Southeast Michigan
      Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Originally posted by Nev View Post
        Perhaps someone can confirm if the Patrol is similar.

By reflexing them it gives lighter roll control, less tendency for adverse yaw, and greater "wash-out".
        The Patrol is indeed similar.
        Brooks Cone
        Southeast Michigan
        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Working...
        X