Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welding goggles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding goggles?

I'm looking for recommendations for oxy acetylene protective eye wear.
    Goggles vs eye shield?
    Shade and color?
    Other tidbits from y'all's experience...
    I don't wear reading glasses, but by the time I'm done with the fuselage I probably will be.

Thanks!
    Mark
    Scratch building Patrol #275
    Hood River, OR

Can't go wrong with the Tin Man:

TM Technologies: Tools, Sheet Metal Shaping Machines, Gas Welding Supplies, Articles & lWorkshops for Better Metalworking
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

I have the fancy Tin Man green lens in a goggles-like headgear and it has worked fine. I also got a duplicate headgear with the regular shade 5 and it works pretty well too. Sometimes a spark makes its way into the eye area, which is less than ideal.

Comment

For steel, welding store lens shade 5 are just fine. Face shield vs. goggles is just personal preference. For aluminum, the only shade to use is the fancy one from Tinman. You might try some mild reading glasses even though you aren't using them yet, you may be pleasantly surprised at the difference in your welds.

Comment

I have a pair of Forney goggles but I never wear them. I usually just grab my hood and turn the shade down. It's a slightly smaller lens but I still prefer it.

Comment

So your hood is normally intended for Tig?

Thanks all for your input!

Mark
            Hood River, OR

Comment

Originally posted by Chewie View Post
              So your hood is normally intended for Tig?

Thanks all for your input!
              Yes. The shade level goes to #13 I think. The "grind" setting is about #4, and disables the auto-darkening. Just be careful to return it to the appropriate shade value for your electric welding before hanging it back up! Don't get flashed.

Comment

Originally posted by Zzz View Post

Yes. The shade level goes to #13 I think. The "grind" setting is about #4, and disables the auto-darkening. Just be careful to return it to the appropriate shade value for your electric welding before hanging it back up! Don't get flashed.
                I learned that one the hard way!
                Christopher Owens
                Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
                Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
                Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

i have a pair that look like dark safety glasses. They are VERY clear and nice--- but I dont use them much because
                  the are not big enough to get my magnifying glasses under. I think they are "uvex" brand. Very good quality.
                  I have another old scratched up pair that has room for glasses behind them. havnt used the old steampunk style since I was 12 :-)
                  Tim

Comment

What I ended up doing was the tin man glass mounted in a Forney Google from the hardware store that flips up so you don't have to take the whole thing off every time. Much preferred to the TM head gear. I could never get that thing to work right.
                    Mark
                    Hood River, OR

Comment

When you are talking about welding goggles from the tin-man------- does he have regular dark ones for welding steel in addition
                      to the pink ones he uses with his flavor of aluminum brazing flux ?

Comment

Working...
                    X