Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stratus Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stratus Power

Appareo is having a two-fer sale on Stratus Power through December, so I bought a couple:

I plan to put one on each side of the plane. The installation guide says to install a 4A breaker for it. Since I have two, I’m debating whether or not I can feed both from the same breaker. Upsizing the breaker to accommodate both at once sorta defeats the purpose of the breaker. So I guess I’ll be installing two breakers. Unless someone has a better option?
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Yeah, I would use 2 breakers, since each of the plugs "could" draw 2.1A, and if you had something plugged into all four plugs, you'd definitely exceed the 4A breaker's capability.
    Jim Parker
    Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
    RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

The purpose of the breaker is to protect the wire. What size wire are you using? Also, if the plugs are providing 2.1a at 5 volts (10.2 watts), that's not the same as 4a at 12v (48 watts).
      Last edited by jaredyates; 12-14-2017, 07:17 AM.

Comment

The docs say 20-22ga wire, and draws 1.9A/26.25W full load on both ports on a 14V system. I doubt I’ll ever see that use case given the devices I use, however.
        Christopher Owens

Comment

Very well, so it sounds like that 1.9a figure is based on what the breaker will see at max load, or 3.8 together. The basic wire size/breaker size chart in 43.13 says a 20 gauge wire goes with a 5a fuse or a 7.5a breaker, while a 22 goes with a 5a fuse or a 5a breaker. So it sounds perfectly acceptable to wire them to a single 5a fuse or breaker. You could use 22 or 20 based on which you had on hand, and whether mechanical strength was a concern. You can always use a bigger wire on a smaller fuse (if you aren't weight-sensitive), but not the other way around.

If it's on your Maule though, then my opinion especially doesn't matter, so consult your A&P.
          Last edited by jaredyates; 12-14-2017, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Yeah, they're within the 4A range of the breaker when combined. Unsure if there's an understood FoS in there at all. If not, it's good to go with two on one.

My A&P said, "Go ahead and hook it up and we'll check it out."
            Christopher Owens

Comment

Working...
            X