Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advanced Aircraft Electronics Antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ordered the antenna kit from Jim Weir and my pops read the manual and installed an antenna.

I’ve always wanted to better understand radios and I figured this would give me some hands on experience.

Initial tests are promising but we have some trouble shooting to do. There is a quite squeal and tunnel voice when transmitting.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Any results on the internal antennas?
      Bearhawk "XHawk" Patrol, O-360, Trailblazer 80", tubeless 26" Goodyears, Stewart Systems. See XHawk Build Log.

Comment

I didn't use my homebrew antenna long enough to form an opinion. The little we did use it I did not notice any issues. No blank spots, no range issues, but we were never far from the airport during the time it was in use. I installed a bent whip while attempting to fix a TX issue but it had no effect. I left the foil antenna in the plane and will use it if I ever install a second com.
        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Working...
        X