Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hardware questions: turnbuckle part numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware questions: turnbuckle part numbers

Now that I'm digging in and starting my kit, I'm enjoying peppering you guys with all my newbie questions. Hopefully those who come after me will appreciate my dumb questions.

Among the things I'm learning is hardware designations. I've long known what the AN bolt codes meant, but when you get into turnbuckles it takes an interesting turn because the AN130 turnbuckle assembly is actually comprised of 3 different AN pieces: AN155, and any combination of AN161, AN165, and AN170 and all their dash codes. It gets even more complex when AN146 assembly uses an MS part number fork.

The AviPro hardware list specs AN turnbuckles, which are safety wire locking style. I'd like to substitute the MS equivalents that use the clip locking style. In my research, it looks like there's a direct substitution for AN155 (barrel) with MS21251 (barrel) of which there is a short (2.25" long) and a long(4.00" long) variety, until you get into the really big ones, that is. My question is, MS only lists 5/32" wire rope diameter whereas AN is 1/8".

These are so close that it shouldn't matter, right? Famous last words, I know. There's no .125" spec for the MS barrel list.

Also, in AN hardware a -16 means 1" 6/8" (1.75") right? But in MS it seems there's only whole number dash codes, like -2 or -3 or -4. These refer to nominal whole inches in length?

Thanks.

Dawned on me to pull out AC43.13 and I think I answered my question; not so much about equivalents but appropriate usage for the different diameters of wire rope.

Comment

When it comes to the turnbuckles and all the variations, I have found that the printed Aircraft Spruce catalog is really good. Can't seem to see the same information with their online catalog, you need to have the printed version in your hand.
      Eric Newton - Long Beach, MS
      Bearhawk Tailwheels and Builder's Manuals
      http://bhtailwheels.com

Comment

To use 1/8 wire rope with MS21251 barrels, the design requirement is to go with -5 parts. Reference is here: http://www.everyspec.com/MS-Specs/MS...DMENT-1_35834/. See Note 6.

everyspec.com is an excellent reference if you do not have an IHS account.

Comment

Hi Guys,

once again comandeering an old thread to shoe-horn in a new question, but here goes ;-)

4-Place QB, Flap cable system: the turnbuckles that connect to the little triangle plate are listed in the hardware lists as AN130-32S, but the holes in my plate (kit-supplied) have 3/16 holes.

AN130-32S ASSY = AN155 barrel + AN170 Cable Eye + AN161 Fork with 0.250" diameter hole, as per the ACS online manual, p136.

Should I drill out the plate holes to 1/4" to match the hole in the fork, or should I (preferably) exchange the turnbuckle assy with AN130-22S: same weight of turnbuckle, but with a smaller eye in the fork?

Thanks all for your assistance!

James

The Barrows Bearhawk: Who knew my wife could get jealous of a plane?

Comment

Can you just swap out the an161 with a smaller an161?

I don't recall using one with a quarter inch hole, it may have just been a mix-up that got you that part?

Comment

• James
              James commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah Jared, that's what I'll do - the AN130-22S is the same assembly with a smaller hole :-)

James
          Working...
          X