Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phenolic vs aluminum pulleys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phenolic vs aluminum pulleys

Phenolic pulleys have been around much longer than I have, but lately I've seen a lot of fancy aluminum pulleys on the market. Ralmark, the makers of the phenolic pulleys, also make an aluminum version, albeit with fewer size options.

Javron, the cub kit maker in MN, also makes some nice looking aluminum pulleys.

As far as I can tell, the advantage of aluminum is primarily how cool it looks. Does it save or add weight? One option I can see with aluminum is that you could potentially design a lightened version, or "skeletonized" like pictured below.

What about wear characteristics, both on the pulley and the cable? After hearing some stories here, I'm convinced any material will wear on cable strands.

I have been wondering the same thing recently as it is time to order some pulleys...

Comment

What about corrosion? At first glance it would seem that aluminum would be more likely to have trouble if/when the anodizing were to wear off. Maybe by the time that would happen a phenolic pulley would have to be replaced too.

Comment

• Battson
        Battson commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah - put aluminium and steel in moving contact, just add humidity / water and there could be galvanic corrosion.

Originally posted by Zzz View Post
      As far as I can tell, the advantage of aluminum is primarily how cool it looks.
      On the finished Bearhawk, there are exactly zero pulleys which I get to see apart from during the 100hr inspection. It would be a shame to have such nice parts hidden out of sight.

Comment

Was checking out a PA-12 yesterday that was being stripped for complete renovation, and noticed many aluminum pulleys. Were these original on Pipers?

Comment

Where did you buy your pulleys? I seem to be finding 30 to 40 bucks per pulley is normal.

Comment

Originally posted by SC Patrol 253 View Post
            Where did you buy your pulleys? I seem to be finding 30 to 40 bucks per pulley is normal.
            I purchased them (Ralmark phenolic) in a large initial hardware order from Spencer Aircraft, but they didn't treat me so great so I haven't bought anything from them since. I now mostly buy stuff from Aircraft Spruce, which I think is a great customer-friendly company.
            Yeah, pulleys aren't cheap, but the phenolic seem to be the most inexpensive.

Comment

Working...
            X