Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Chris have you heard of a router bit having 2 bearings? One on the bottom and one on top?

Comment

It doesn't ring a bell, but I wouldn't rule it out. The bit I'm using has two bearings on top. I can't see how one would put a hearing between the shank and the blade, though.
      Christopher Owens
      Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
      Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
      Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Do you know the name of the bit? Also my dad made a suggestion.......what about cutting out 23 full ribs to start with then from there you cut out the middle and the nose ribs, and trailing edge ribs? The pocket ribs, flap, and aileron ribs would be made later.

i just discovered also that looking at the drawings.............from the root to middle rib number 6 is .032? Am I reading that right? Are all the nose ribs still .025?
        Last edited by MNBenny; 01-15-2017, 10:22 AM.

Comment

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...435,46171&ap=1

That's a bit with upper and lower bearings. You can have the template on the top or bottom but it does limit the thickness of the stack you can work with.

The router bits you want are called either flush trim bits, template bits or laminate trim bits depending on the manufacturer. If your router supports 1/2" shanks buy that as opposed to the 1/4" shank bits. They tend to have more flex in them and are lighter duty

Comment

Originally posted by MNBenny View Post
            Do you know the name of the bit? Also my dad made a suggestion.......what about cutting out 23 full ribs to start with then from there you cut out the middle and the nose ribs, and trailing edge ribs? The pocket ribs, flap, and aileron ribs would be made later.

i just discovered also that looking at the drawings.............from the root to middle rib number 6 is .032? Am I reading that right? Are all the nose ribs still .025?
            Laminate or trim but is what they're called, as tbalx suggested.

You can certainly cut the ribs in any order you like. I created separate forms for the full-length ribs, and I did them last. But you can do them first if you like. No set order. If I recall, the kit factory doesn't use full-length ribs on the wing tip end. It's three pieces. Also an option.

You're correct, the center ribs from the root to outer edge of the fuel tank bay are .032". All others are .025".
            Christopher Owens

Comment

What I'm talking is cutting out the nose and middle ribs from the full length ribs that we cut.

Comment

You'd have to make them longer in order to account for the cut width when you trim them to length. That would change the overall length and curvature. Easier to rout them in the pieces and make the template the exact size.

Comment

You also have far far more nose ribs than center ribs and only have 4 back ribs. Yes you could hack off the unused section of back ribs to make flaps and ailerons, just too much fuss and getting them all identical would be tough.

Comment

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

These were by my dad today. That 3/4 mdf. More cutting tomorrow.

Comment

Good start! How wide are the flanges? They appear to change width from front to back. As a matter of practice, they should be the same width along the rib's length. Typically 9/16".
                      Christopher Owens

Comment

First set of 4 through the router and 1 test rib.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

test rib.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks great. Routers are great tools for this job.
                            Christopher Owens

Comment

The nose ribs I cut earlier can't be used. So here I am again trying to make the wood patterns trying to run the router through.
                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Here are the ribs I tried to cut last night, and my dad cleaned up today
                                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Working...
                                X