Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remote Compass Location in 4-place Bearhawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Compass Location in 4-place Bearhawk

Where have you guys with electronic EFIS been putting your remote compass module? How did you mount it? How is it working out for you?

I put it out near the wingtip, one bay in from the very end.

I chose this location to keep it more than 1' away from the nutplates and other ferrous metal hardware at the wingtip, while still keeping it within arm's reach from the end of the wing. It's worked out pretty much perfectly, so far. I made sure to use only non-ferrous fasteners around the area I installed it.

To install it, I made a small platform which I riveted onto the lower wing skin and onto the wing rib - the largest flat surfaces to affix it to. The cable route to the wingtip is shared with the remote OAT probe in a Dynon install, which I also hid near the wingtip in the outboard aileron pocket. I put a service loop in the cable (pictured below), so it can be maintained without too much difficulty. I put a protective sheath around all cables, to prevent vibrational wear.

Comment

• Battson
      Battson commented
      Editing a comment
      In hindsight, I would have used more cable ties and fewer adel clamps.

• JimParker256
      JimParker256 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's pretty much what both Dynon and Garmin told me they would recommend. Looks good, Batson!

• Ray Strickland
      Ray Strickland commented
      Editing a comment
      OK. Looks good. Thanks for the input.
      I hope to be painting 4-place plans-built #877 when the weather warms up in a couple of months.

What's the wire out back in the aileron hinge bay?
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

I would sure like to Battson's pictures. Is there something I'm missing? "A secret hand shake or what?" LOL Help

Comment

• Battson
        Battson commented
        Editing a comment
        Sometimes Photobucket has a bad day. Try a different browser or try again later maybe.

Originally posted by Chris In Marshfield View Post
      What's the wire out back in the aileron hinge bay?
      That's the Outside Air Temp (OAT) probe which I mentioned, sorry for the confusion!
      It plugs into the same compass plug, and the two devices share the same comms cables back to the EFIS unit in the panel.

Comment

Of course! Read twice before asking questions! Thanks for that. Reading it again, it was quite clear. Doh...
        Christopher Owens
        Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
        Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
        Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Working...
        X