Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tail belly skin and fabric termination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tail belly skin and fabric termination

Anyone here use thin aluminum for the last few feet of their tail covering on the belly? I've been thinking that this method would provide a strong covering for an area that gets beat up by rocks for those of us who enjoy gravel bars, as well as providing an easily removable access panel for the inner workings of the tail, such as the elevator trim servo and cables in my case.

So, if you have done this, or are planning to, what was your method for terminating fabric at the 2nd to last station? And how best to smoothly terminate the stringers?

In the image below, the right side is how the current stringers run and attach to the final station. The left side drawing is my proposed alternative to terminate the stringers at that crossbar in saddle brackets just like they are at the fore end, but deflected upward so as to flush with the cross bar.

Side view of proposed:

Thanks.

Alaskabearhawk has done this.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Did not terminate the fabric.
      Put a large oval aluminum ring in the fabric.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

homebuilt aircraft, builders log, experimental, experimental aircraft, 51% rule, fifty-one percent rule, 51% percent rule, aircraft homebuilt kit, aircraft homebuilt plan, aircraft composite homebuilt, aircraft experimental homebuilt, aircraft experimental kit

Comment

You, sir, are a genius craftsman
          Last edited by Chris In Milwaukee; 10-19-2017, 10:24 AM.
          Christopher Owens
          Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
          Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
          Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Thanks guys, some good ideas here.

Comment

Working...
            X