Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

carbon paper for duplication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carbon paper for duplication

I've watched lots of YouTube videos and read all sorts of techniques for transferrng the drawing #4 wing shape to the wood form block...

maybe I missed it. But what about putting carbon paper down on the wood , Mylar on top and trace the lines through .mylar does not get destroyed. Makes and exact copy of the mylar

Michael in toronto

That is a doable way.

But I think that going to your local office supply store and have them print the Mylar drawing full size and the with a spay can of 3M adhesive, just stick the drawing down to the wood you want to use for the form block. There is a lot of detail on that drawing that is really nice to have on your form block.

Going forward in the build process, taking a full size drawing and gluing it to the material you are going to make that part from is a great way to make parts that are very accurate and true to the drawings. And it is way faster than laying out every part on the material before you cut.

Comment

Just curious, why is are so many so hell-bent on copying the Mylar instead of using it as is? Inquiring minds want to know.
      Last edited by Chris In Milwaukee; 12-01-2017, 07:48 PM.
      Christopher Owens
      Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
      Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
      Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

I found that having the Mylar drawing on my rib former was extremely handy. And I figured that just gluing a drawing down was way faster than transferring the drawing to the former. Any time I heeded to reference the drawing, it was there on the former in actual size.

As a standard practice, I print and glue a drawing to the material I am going to cut vs. laying out the part from a drawing. Way faster and often times more accurate.

Comment

Ive been using that method for transferring full scale drawings on the plans to poster board to make patterns for cutting the parts from steel. It works very well.

Comment

I made a form block using carbon paper and it worked fine. If I were to do it again, I'd probably just glue the mylar directly.

Comment

I am pretty sure Bob will sell a duplicate mylar for very little if you own plans. I used the 3m glue and a piece of 032
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.
              Stan
              Austin Tx

Comment

I used carbon paper to copy the mylar to the form block...no good reason I suppose, just wanted to save everything for future reference I guess. But I do wonder about making paper copies. Paper is not as stable as mylar (perhaps thats why Bob used it...) Any change in moisture/humidity/glue would cause expansion/contraction and therefore slight distortion of the drawing. Also some copying procedures are not 100% accurate.

Comment

The main reason I did not use mylar on MDF was because I did not want my only absolute-truth reference profile to be subject to humidity. I ended up laser cutting an aluminum template, with all the details transferred to a full scale DXF. I have gone back to that template and the DXF to answer questions many times.
                  Mark
                  Scratch building Patrol #275
                  Hood River, OR

Comment

Form-blocks, 4130 sheet-steel parts, most anything from stem-to-stern (oops ... it's not a yacht) I've made from plans by poking a sharp needle through the plans into what ever I want to cut. I usually trace the line of needle-pricks with masking tape for a line that is about as exact as can be determined. It is easy to use a chop saw on steel and cut very close to a masking tape without burning the line away, then grind to exact profiles on either steel or aluminum. I use a lot of vintage carpentry tools on aluminum, including old fashioned muscle-powered block-plane for perfectly straight beautiful edges. Have not turned on a router in years.

Comment

Working...
                    X