Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Router template for nose ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router template for nose ribs

I am working on the MDF router templates for my ribs. I'm guessing this issue has been discussed before, but I could not find it with a search...

The plans call for a 3/32 radius at the point near the tip where the flange ends. I certainly understand the reason for this, but as we all know, when these templates are duplicated with a router, the inside cut at this intersection matches the radius of the router bit.

My question is, can I leave it this way, then cut my nose rib blanks with this larger radius in-place and bend the flange as it is? Or do I need to drill the aluminum blank at this location and cut or file it to match the depiction on the plans?

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Karl
    Bearhawk Bravo #1508B - Scratch Build (wings)
    Northern Idaho

I left it. It’s a large radius, so I’m confident it will be fine.
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Thanks Chris!

It definitely simplifies it!!
      Karl
      Bearhawk Bravo #1508B - Scratch Build (wings)
      Northern Idaho

Comment

Maybe I’m splitting hairs here...but on the drawing it shows a partial inward radius before it has the outward radius ( j shape)at the point he is referring to.... I’ve seen this on many plans of different planes and I would assume it’s a stress reliever when metal is being folded over and over stressed in an un fluted state and a flange stops but the web continues... usually seen this on nose ribs in that location

so.... I think he still has to add the inward radius stress reliever as per plans ....regardless of the size of the outward radius....

the spot im referring to is the point you would usally drill to form the shape
        Last edited by way_up_north; 12-09-2018, 02:11 PM.

Comment

You could try it with just the router corner and see how it goes. If you don't like it then you learned.. No harm in that. But don't throw the rib away. User it to practice your first flutes, your first lightening holes, your first stiffeners, your first priming, etc. It's handy to have a piece to practice on and answer those "I wonder if this will work" questions that are bound to come up.
          Mark
          Scratch building Patrol #275
          Hood River, OR

Comment

I did mine with just the router bit--- but im using a 1/4 inch cutter with a top bearing. Cut my template to match the bearing (1/4 inch----)
            I placed the hole so it is tangent to both surfaces. (no reverse dip) I figured since my radius was bigger-- that I would be OK......

T
            Last edited by fairchild; 12-24-2018, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X