Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint Station - small parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Station - small parts

I am looking for ideas regarding painting small parts. I thinking of dedicating a small area in my shop in front of a window as a small parts paint station. My goal is to make painting small parts a quicker, standardized and streamlined process. If you have any experience or ideas, please pass them along.

I am thinking of a box window fan that blows air out the widow, with some sides and top/maybe with floor protection. Simple, cheap. I'm not seeing a need yet for a dust containment device. For example, I am setting up to paint fuel tank straps.
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Brooks,
    Box fans work great, just put a furnace filter on the suction side. Otherwise, your fan blades and motor will soon be covered with paint residue.

Comment

For me humidity is a big issue. I stopped building to construct a cooling radiator for my compressor. Now I'll be able to paint all year long. See you tube for info on radiators. Also see you tube for a number of solutions for small parts painting. The plastic model builders really have it down to a science. I use an airbrush for all my small wing parts with great success. Less overspray, less paint used.
      Gerry
      Patrol #30

Comment

Hi, what I found useful is to hang them if they have holes, most have and then hang a weight at the end to stop it from being blow all over.

Comment

Brooks, here's what I did.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          Mark
          Scratch building Patrol #275
          Hood River, OR

Comment

Mark thats a pretty elegant solution. Is the filter inside the box?
            Gerry
            Patrol #30

Comment

Wow Mark! I like that! It give me some ideas. I'll see what I can come up with and post photos once I get it working.

Yesterday I modified a window fan to receive furnace filters and installed it. I may be time to go dumpster diving for a big box from the recycled cardboard bin.
              Brooks Cone
              Southeast Michigan
              Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• jaredyates
                jaredyates commented
                Editing a comment
                My crafty wife likes to call up the big home improvement stores and ask for appliance boxes, and they are usually happy to offer them if they have them.

Thanks, but I take little credit. I happily stole the idea from the Pudding River LSA guys (re: Kitplanes Building the Bearhawk LSA series by Ken Scott). I used my toolchest box as you can see, one borrowed box fan, and yes an HVAC filter inside the box. A used commercial lighting grille across the top. As for the rest, only reason I built the booth on my driveway was to warm it up inside! Fumes were not an issue, it was stewarts and not much application for such small parts.
              Mark
              Scratch building Patrol #275
              Hood River, OR

Comment

I have painted two aircraft with Stewarts and I wish people would take the fact that it is chemical based paint. I know there is toluene in the glue and the vapours from the paint flashing off is not good for you. I must be super sensitive to the products cause I have headaches and trouble being around the stuff. I don't handle it, mix it or walk out into the booth when it's drying without a respirator on.

Comment

Working...
                X