Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flush Wing Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flush Wing Tips

I've been asked to describe how I fitted my flush wing tips on my Bravo so here goes .........

This describes the bottom edge as I haven't flipped the wing yet!

IMG_0508.JPG

The first step is to de-rivet the end rib if you have a quick build. Then fit a piece of 025 aluminium under the skin. This needs to be 1-1/8" - 1/2" on the rib and 5/8" for fitting the tip. You will not be able to get it all the way around the leading edge because of the tight curvature - I intend to lay up some fibreglass inside the tip later to close the gap. Match drill through the existing skin and rib holes and cleco. Then offer up the wing tip. You will see that it needs to be recessed at the back to fit the aft tip rib. Match drill #40 at about 3" intervals into the supporting strip and aft tip rib. Remove and enlarge the holes in the support strip to #28 and fit #6 nutplates. Refit the tip using #40 clecos. Using a #40 cutter, countersink every second hole to take a #6 screw. You will enlarge the hole in the tip to more than #28 and take a small amount of material from the support strip but the cutter pin will keep it centred in the nutplate. Fit #6 screws and tinnerman washers and repeat for the remaining holes. When happy with the fit, remove the tip and rivet the support strip and skin to the end rib.

IMG_0551.JPG

Rear detail ........

IMG_0552.JPG

Front detail .......

Hope this helps - not difficult. Takes a few hours but I think the result is worth it over a lap fit.

Looks first class Paul. Not all of us are willing to spend the time. But yours look very tidy and nice. Mark

Comment

Going on my "must do" list... while fully aware that PERFECTION is the enemy of PROGRESS! I just can't help myself! LOL!
      Rob Caldwell
      Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
      EAA Chapter 309
      Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
      YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
      1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

Working...
      X