Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Landing Lights for a flying Patrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I happened to have my wing top off so I took some pictures. It is a very simple and effective installation. No signs of water, not heavy, not complex, just works and works well. Perhaps could have been done with flush screws?

All the extra wiring and boxes are because I have HID lights. They made sense 6 years ago when I upgraded from the halogens, but today I would put in LEDs. I bought one of these to try in our RV-4:

If works well, I"ll buy three more to finish out the RV-4 and replace the 2 HIDs in the Bearhawk. I might have heard about them in another thread here?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

Thanks for posting this. Any details on the housing/holder?

I'm trying to make the decision on location and weighing all the pro's and con's. I actually tried forming a lexan lens for the wingtips. The wife went on a trip and several us commandeered the kitchen stove, Russ Erb style. . Made several tries with less than adequate results. Any suggestions or details on wingtip lenses in actual installations?

Thanks too much,
      John Bickham

Los Lunas, NM Mid Valley Airpark E98
      BH Plans #1117
      Avipro wings/Scratch
      http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....er&project=882

Comment

Originally posted by John Bickham View Post
        Thanks for posting this. Any details on the housing/holder?
        For the lexan or the bulb?

The lexan is held in place with an aluminum strip at the top an bottom rear. Screws through the lexan and aluminum in to riveted nut plates. There is a strip of some sort of sealant/glue around the perimeter of the lexan, so it may be difficult to remove. Access is easy so removal isn't a concern and I see no signs of leakage.

The bulb mount is easier to see in the picture. A few strips of aluminum that offer place for hte adjustment/mounting screws. I don't know the source of the band around the bulb, but I'm sure there are numerous options.

A follow-up on the LED bulb I linked above. I'm not a fan. The beam is spread too much and doesn't penetrate for distance. It is adequate, but not what I'm looking for. I just ordered another singe/sample bulb. I'll report back after trying it:

3,200 lumen high-performance LED PAR36 sealed beam replacement lamps. No excuses fit that conforms to virtually all PAR36 critical parameters Including form, fit & function. Our customer base demands guaranteed no excuse fit, RFI/EMI-free aircraft grade components consistent with lamps many times the cost. Extreme brightness at up to 3,200 lumens, low current draw, and low radiant heat. *Not FAA-PMA/TSO approved Advanced SmarTemp Technology - Proprietary temperature-dependent intensity decrement circuitry.​Up to 3,200 effective lumens lighting your way. Continuously variable current regulation as one of the brightest drop-in led replacement PAR 36 bulb in the market. By selling direct to consumers, we are able to offer this high performance lamp for a fraction of the cost of competitors, while providing industry leading in-house customer support. Replaces ANSI Bulb Codes:Spot Beam: 4505, 4509, 4509X, 4509Y, Q4509, Q4631, Q4632, 4313, 4591, 4594, 4595, 4596, 4713, H7604Applications: Aircraft Landing, Aircraft Taxi, Agriculture, Heavy Equipment, Marine, Off-Road, Driving Lights, Rotating Beacons​

Larsen lights does offer this which should be better than the one i tried:

High power PAR-36 size replacement LED light for the old style sealed beam halogen light. 6 x 5 watt CREE LED chips. Actual power use is around 22 watt, effective lumen around 1700. 20° Spot Beam. Note: It is a good practice to drill a few holes on top and bottom of the housing the light is mounted in, this will help the lights cool.

Comment

Have a look at my latest post - shouldn't be difficult as a retro-fit.

Comment

The Aero-Lites SunSetter Ultra G2 looks like a winner. In the picture, the left is the SunSetter at about 40 Watts. The right is a standard aircraft 100 Watt Halogen. I'll be order more of these to replace my other landing lights. My wife did a few night landings this evening in her RV-4 and approves.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Cwilson
              Cwilson commented
              Editing a comment
              New hanger looks great Tyson! I just bought a Patrol Quick build kit hope to get together with you soon and get some ideas an suggestions. Carl. ( the guy on lake Potanipo with the Stearman )

• kestrel
              kestrel commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow! Welcome to the Bearhawk club! I was thinking, "...Cwilson... ?? Carl ?? This rings a bell..." But on this forum you were out of context! My first suggestion for you is float fittings. ;-) Come by and see the hangar!
          Working...
          X