Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Landing Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landing Light

I have just finished installing a VANS RV-14 Landing Light into my Bravo and thought you might enjoy sharing the process. My wing is upside-down on the bench so the view is from that perspective

Firstly, the leading edge profile is different so you need to adjust the lens. I used ratchet straps (protect the trailing edge with wood blocks) and a heat gun - easy.

IMG_0657.JPG

You obviously can't use the indexing marks on the template so just position as best you can. Only drill the bottom row of holes for the mount. The wing section is deeper so you have to cut off the top flange and extend. You also need to adjust the flange angle. Then match drill from the inside for the top holes.

IMG_0671.JPG

The instructions call for countersinking the lens attach holes and dimpling the skin. I decided to enlarge the lens holes to 3/16" to relieve any potential stress and use pan-head screws. Will probably decrease cruise speed by about 0.02kts ....

IMG_0672.JPG

The finished article. Total time about 8 hours. Once the paint is done, I intend to mask up the lens, loosen it a bit and put in a bead of clear sealant just to make sure the lens/skin joint is sealed.

IMG_0669.JPG

I don't mind saying that is a HUGE hole in your leading edge. Not so sure about that... From a previous post by Battson:

Just to note - Bob Barrows has made a comment along the lines of:

"The wing skin is a structural element, and therefore cutting a large hole into the leading edge does weaken the wing somewhat."

Comment

I would agree that cutting a hole in the wing skin does reduce its strength. But having said that this hole is in the most outboard wing rib bay. It appears to have a doubler inside with large radii. I don’t have the skill to calculate the real impact of the hole on the structure but from an eyeball design, I feel that the impact would be negligible. It would be interesting for someone with the skill to calculate the impact of such a feature on the structure.

Comment

Exactly. Plus the support bracket adds extra strength. the leading edge skin in the last bay does almost nothing to add to the wing strength. And VANS are happy to allow it on their designs. Don't want to get into an argument - just trying to help out fellow builders. Do it or don't do it - I don't really care ......

Comment

I like what you did here Paul, thanks for the pics. Can't comment on where I've put mine though
          Nev Bailey
          Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
          YouTube - Build and flying channel
          Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Working...
          X