Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Learning aircraft sheet metal techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning aircraft sheet metal techniques

Can anyone recommend a good home-study aircraft sheet metal course? I am having a hard time finding something along those lines. It is going to be a while before I can begin working on my Patrol plans and I want to make sure I have my work environment set up well and improve my methods before I start in. I have a great A&P and IA who can evaluate my work if somebody can recommend a course. Thanks.

Bill Schmanski
    Erie, CO - 7CO0
    (303) 520-6171

I ran across the "Hints for Homebuilders" video series on EAA's website. Looks like some good info.

Link - (not sure if this will work) https://www.eaa.org/eaa/aircraft-bui...87AC08232&_z=z

Comment

The EAA has an extensive library you can use and their are many publications put out by the FAA that are free to down load. Vanns aircraft has a tool box you can build, it comes in a kit. It gives you practice with riveting and shaping aluminum. The kit is not expensive. The best way to learn this skill is to just start bending drilling and riveting. And of course this forum is a good resource as well. Good luck on your build.

Comment

Tinmantech.com

Comment

Originally posted by davzLSA View Post
          ...The best way to learn this skill is to just start bending drilling and riveting.
          Couldn't agree more! You gotta feel it in your hands so the muscle patterns set in.
          Mark
          Scratch building Patrol #275
          Hood River, OR

Comment

I purchased the "Sheet Metal for Kit Aircraft" DVD from EAA and found it very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by BillSchmanski View Post
              Can anyone recommend a good home-study aircraft sheet metal course? I am having a hard time finding something along those lines. It is going to be a while before I can begin working on my Patrol plans and I want to make sure I have my work environment set up well and improve my methods before I start in. I have a great A&P and IA who can evaluate my work if somebody can recommend a course. Thanks.
              This video series is actually what you do before you touch the metal...I recommend this to help you layout out your parts...different plane but same concepts..

Last edited by way_up_north; 04-30-2020, 09:11 PM.

Comment

I took an EAA weekend course on sheet metal, since I had never driven a rivet before. We each built a structure like a short aileron with a hinge, an internal stiffener, and a circular inspection plate in it. I think we did four kinds of riveting. I found it enjoyable and essential, if a little expensive. (Cheap compared to ruining material and parts through). I signed up a few months before the course was offered in my area, but it was worth the wait. I would do it again.

Comment

Working...
                X