Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Idea for shorter flared tubing runs with a bend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea for shorter flared tubing runs with a bend

I'm doubtful I have an original idea here. I showed it to my neighbor who is building his 11th plane and he was glad I did. Today I was re-doing my aft tubing runs from the rear of the tank to the fuselage. That is because I got some pretty miserable results on my first attempt. I was having doubts that I was going to get the required flow for need for the 150% fuel flow test. Depending on how you plumb it, there is a lot that has to happen from the tank to the fuselage connection in a small area.

I couldn't get the tubing to turn quick enough when I allowed for the room to flare, have a sleeve on before the bend and get all that to fit in the tubing bender. After making a substantial pile of little pieces of scrap tubing out long piece of good tubing, I tried this and happier with the results.

The pictures are better at explaining the technique but here is the cliff-note version:
    • flare the tubing end
    • slip sleeve on
    • insert round into the tubing end. I used a 9/32" center punch.
    • let the rod bear on the stop of the tubing bender and bend the required angle
    • slip on coupling nut and trim to required length
    DSCF2865[1].JPG
    shorter run to bend

DSCF2867[1].JPG
    longer run to bend as required

I'm sure this is old news to a lot of the experienced builders out there. Hoping it may be helpful to the other rookie builders like me.
    Thanks too much,
    John Bickham

Los Lunas, NM Mid Valley Airpark E98
    BH Plans #1117
    Avipro wings/Scratch
    http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....er&project=882

Gold!
    Anyone who hasn't got one, this Imperial tube bender pictured here is a fantastic bit of gear :-)
    The Barrows Bearhawk: Who knew my wife could get jealous of a plane?

Comment

• svyolo
      svyolo commented
      Editing a comment
      I ran into the same issues in a couple of places. That is a great idea.
Working...
X