Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice needed on protective coating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed on protective coating

Any advice on getting the protective coating off aluminum? I have a spar and rib package from the factory that I bought second hand, that is several years old, and I’m having an extra hard time getting the protective coating off. It just wants to come off in small pieces. Would a heat gun on low do any harm? Thanks

A heat gun works well.

Comment

We had the same issue when it was time to paint the wing as the plastic stayed on except for rivet lines for some years. A hair dryer helped. Lift a corner then use steady gentle tension to pull it back over itself while warming up with a hair dryer. It just has to warm it up enough to soften and to help it to release. The heat helps some to overcome the brittleness. The older the plastic the harder it is remove. It takes some playing around to learn what is the right balance for heat and tension. Some will come in big pieces so when you just think you've got it then it decides to come off in tiny pieces. The stuff is an exercise in patience all the way. Gentle and take your time.

Comment

If it’s possible, try a heat gun on the back of the panel. Also try leaving the panels in the sun for a while, although the sun might be a bit scarce if you’re in the northern hemisphere this time of year.
        Nev Bailey
        Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
        YouTube - Build and flying channel
        Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

What is this "sun" of which you speak ? I'm looking out the window at yet more snow falling right now....
          -------------------
          Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
          Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
          RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

Heat gun.
            No sun here either Mark. Snow and -23C. Alberta

Comment

I hear ya, Steve. -28C here (near Ottawa) the other night, but it is absolutely balmy now at -1C
              -------------------
              Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
              Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
              RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

Here’s our next 7 days, looks like I’ll be using a heat gun.
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Not to hijack the thread but -37 and -38 for Saturday and Sunday. What a bad year to not have any projects in the shop. Brutal.

Comment

If you are trying to remove a continuous piece attach it to a long board and a weight. In the morning it will be lying on the floor.

Comment

Working...
                    X