Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where did you mount your VOR/GS antenna?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did you mount your VOR/GS antenna?

Hi folks

I know Bob would throw his hands up in disgust if he read that subject line ("VOR? Why do you even have electrics???") but I am making my scratch built 4pl IFR capable. Two certified GPS navigators is just too fiscally painful so I am put in an VOR/ILS as my second navigation device (I'm in Canada and we need two *independent* navigation devices, not a 2-in-1 like a GNS430).

For those of you that have/are putting a VOR/GS into their Bearhawk, where and how are you mounting it? Last winter I was putting my Maule back together after annual and, in a moment of inattention and haste) whacked my face right into the VOR/GS antenna. It hit at such an angle that it pushed back a front tooth, travelled up my face and entered my eye socket. Thankfully, my lower eyelid was trapped between the end of the antenna and my eyeball so no permanent damage done, although the left side of my face was numb for about 6 weeks.

I'm not too excited about mounting the antenna on the same place as my Maule, given I am a proven slow learner and may do this again :-)

Oh ya, the antenna on the Maule now sports two bright green tennis balls when on the ground...

-------------------
    Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
    Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
    RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

I was going to suggest the Archer wing tip antenna but double checked and it requires a wingtip 11"s wide. Works for me but I made my own wingtips. Guess that leaves the vertical stabilizer.

Comment

Mark, I cant help you with suggestions on antenna placement, but thought I'd share my story to make you feel better... I did something similar, but it was the prop... I was sweeping out the hangar, pulling the dust out from under the wing, and saw something out of the corner of my eye. I turned to see what it was... Well, apparently, it was my prop... I was maybe 2" from it before I turned my head, and that motion resulted in the sharp trailing edge corner of the prop catching me about a 1/2" below my eye. Lots of blood, but no permanent damage. (Other than this "flinch" reaction every time I get close to the prop arc...) After that, my prop had tennis balls on the ends, as well!
      Jim Parker
      Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
      RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Originally posted by rodsmith View Post
        I was going to suggest the Archer wing tip antenna but double checked and it requires a wingtip 11"s wide. Works for me but I made my own wingtips. Guess that leaves the vertical stabilizer.
        Interesting you should say that....I was thinking about making Horner tips even though I already have a set of "Bob" tips. This might just push me over the edge into making them.

Thanks, Rod....
        -------------------
        Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
        Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
        RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

• rodsmith
          rodsmith commented
          Editing a comment
          I just found out they have a model 3 that is 8" wide. I understand they work very well in most installations.

• rv8bldr
          rv8bldr commented
          Editing a comment
          Excellent. Thanks, Rod
      Working...
      X