Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masking off wing access holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masking off wing access holes

Looking for input how some have closed off access holes in wings for painting..from inside? Outside? Don't bother covering openings? Thanks. Possibly mask from outside half way at the doublers so half the doubler is painted and half not?
    Last edited by Gary Wallace; 06-14-2021, 01:08 PM.

Good question, I’d like to know too

Comment

• Paul Johnston
      Paul Johnston commented
      Editing a comment
      I painted with the access covers on . Screws get painted too!

• Gerhard Rieger
      Gerhard Rieger commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Paul, I am using steel screws, not sainless, I paint over them

I painted mine with the covers on as well. I used 2 sacrificial screws for each cover to hold them in place.
    Rob Caldwell
    Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
    EAA Chapter 309
    Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
    YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
    1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

A 1/16" clearance between the cover and the skin allows for paint build up and avoids paint chipping with removal/installation of the cover.
      Brooks Cone
      Southeast Michigan
      Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Thanks Bcone. I do have that exactly. Looking for input on closing access holes for painting . Likely going to mask half way on backup doubler so it's half painted half primed. I have already painted my covers so that should work fine I think. Thanks
        Last edited by Gary Wallace; 06-15-2021, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Back mask with 2” masking tape then fill in the center. Smaller holes do the same thing with 3/4” masking tape.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I just stuff the holes with crumbled brown craft paper or painters masking paper. It is very easy and fast and keeps the overspray out.
            John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

Working...
            X