Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutting 2024 Alclad with a box cutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting 2024 Alclad with a box cutter

I haven't read this anywhere before and discovered this more or less by accident. Scribing and breaking thin Alclad works surprisingly well. When I did some butt joints on my boot cowl I forgot to account for material loss from using a cutter disc. I then tried splitting the sheet metal with a box cutter on a scrap piece. I routinely get results similar to a large table shear (which I don't have).

Also really illustrates the importance of sanding out material imperfections to avoid stress risers.

Bearhawk "XHawk" Patrol, O-360, Trailblazer 80", tubeless 26" Goodyears, Stewart Systems. See XHawk Build Log.

Thanks for taking the time to create and share the video. I have used an Olfa knife with good results.

Comment

• gregc
      gregc commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the Olfa knife also. Sometimes it's the perfect solution.

Thanks for sharing this and creating the video. Would not have thought of this. Was it .032” in thickness?

Comment

• noema
      noema commented
      Editing a comment
      Patrol boot cowl is .025". I haven't tried any thicker sheets.

olfa.jpg
    I also liked the Olfa knife. I found that I could make fewer cuts by using a brake to snap it.

I also found paper cutters to be handy.

papercutter.jpg

Also these tools helpful.
    edge1.jpgedge2.jpgsand.jpg

Stan
    Austin Tx

Comment

Working...
    X