Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

stuck shock strut cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stuck shock strut cap

For the last few condition inspections I have wanted to replace the seals in my right shock strut due to an annoying leak. Just finished trying again today and I still can not get the cap to come off. I can remove the circlip and I have ensured the inside of the strut above the circlip is clean but the cap will not go past the circlip groove. I have tried putting a bolt in the piston, clamping the bolt in a vice and pounding the lip of the shock tube with a dead blow hammer and have also tried using a wedge between the vice and shock tube but all it does is collapse the spring. No movement on the cap. Any one else have this problem or can suggest a solution. Thanks, Pat

Just a thought...put the strut in a freezer overnight, then heat the outside rim with a heat gun. It might be enough to let the cap go past.

One more option is put a grease zerk with some kind of adapter in the hole where the ball end goes in, or in the filler plug hole. Pump it full of grease and force it out.

Comment

Is there an option to try compressed air at the fill port before the grease idea? I did this once with a reluctant brake caliper and ruined a t-shirt with the splatter of 5606, but it got the piston out.

Comment

Good ideas both of them. I've used grease to remove pilot bearings and air to remove brake calipers so don't know why I didn't think of it. That said, grease would have been a mess and air helped, but moved the cap only slightly. I got it off by putting a chain around the base of my loft supports and attaching chains to both ends of the strut. I then used a come-along, figuring at some point the spring would bottom out. When it did the cap popped off. Thanks for the input, Pat

Comment

Working...
        X